Scene One: The Glade

The world shook.

Air finally forced its way through to her lungs, breaking the sickeningly sweet water that suffocated her.

She sat up gasping. Painful coughs racked her body as water leaked out her mouth. Her vision was swooping around a tiny cage dizzyingly fast, feeling the icy metal through her hands, as the platform lifted upward.

Boxes and barrels lined the edges of her vision, some askew from the movement, others carefully tied to each other.

She pressed her fingers painfully deep into the chain link wiring that surrounded her, allowing deep imprints to be left on the pads of her skin. Where am I, Where am Ilook around, find where you are. Her clothes felt damp, she looked down to see a dark long sleeved shirt and a baggy overshirt with tight trousers and boots.

She backed up against a wall, trying to ground herself, looping her fingers around the chinks in the sides. Stringy bangs blocked some of her vision, she felt the back of her head, the short hair standing up in tiny spikes from the water.

A crunching noise made the box lurch, and she covered her head, crushing her arms around her body trying to be as small as possible.

Grinding hinges came from above as some kind of swinging door was opened and blinding light broke through the cage searing her eyes.

Two sets of pounding footsteps landed inside the box with her and she pulled away her whole body shaking with terror. They are coming for me.

Her heart thundered in her chest and part of her prayed they would pass her by.

But the footsteps cornered her, speaking quietly.

"Alright, just be calm, you're in the glade now, come let's get you out of here. I'm Alby, this is George. "

"We're here to help, just come with us, it's alright."

Another voice called down from above. "That boy's as thin as a twig"

Straight above her the voice yelled "Shut it Gally, leave him be for a moment."

She flinched violently.

A hand touched her arm.

She screeched and stood up, nearly toppling over as her balance betrayed her, the ground moved in waves beneath her feet as she tried to stumble away from the two boys in front of her, but their arms pulled her back. She lashed out, hitting the shorter dark skinned boy in the cheek, and tried to kick away the other as more boys began sliding down from the surface.

Hands scrabbled along her arms and torso as they tried to secure her and she fought with all her might to get away. Eventually they hoisted her over the lip of the box, and her face handed in the grass.

The sunlight burned her eyes but she opened them anyway. Rolling onto her stomach she looked out. Huge stone walls encased the perfectly flat field in front of her.

Another cage.

Hands pressed her down into the ground, and one of the boys dragged her unsteadily to her feet. She pulled away but his hands had locked on her arms.

From inside the cage, the dark skinned boy called out. "Gally take him to the pit to calm down." He turned to the others in the crowd, "The rest of you, help me get these supplies out and sorted."

She watched the small cut on his cheek slowly drip down to his chin, before two of the boys began half carrying half dragging her down towards one of the walls that was lined with greenery.

Drooping trees provided a spotty shade, and among the roots was a dug-out pit laid inside the earth.

Gally then propped open the door with his foot and shoved her inside, she tumbled down to the bottom and immediately crawled as far away from the entrance as she could.

Her jailor sighed, "Alright, just cool on down in there, and someone will come and get you soon."

Light leaked out of the day, from morning to late afternoon. Bugs droned in the trees and the air was hot and humid.

The girl shook in the pit, head pounding as she tried to remember something, anything. Images and information stumbled through her brain feeling jagged and painful as her headache progressed. Little piercing needles seemed to bring moments of clarity before being swallowed up in the fog of her unknown reality.

A voice filtered down from above.

"You really are just a smidge of a thing aren't you."

She looked up. A boy was crouching outside the bamboo barred door and looking down at her.

Tears dripped off her cheek as she stared at him. "I can't remember anything. Why can't i remember anything I can't"

"Hey don't worry, it's bloody useless to try and think of things that aren't there anymore, just leave it alone and what's important will come to you." he smiled and started undoing the ties around the door. "How are you feelin'? Need a tad more time to sit it out there?"

The door swung open. "I'm Newt."