11

I stared at the brown-eyed boy for as long as I could remember while he proudly served the next few customers who entered during the time being. His shift must have just started because he was not here minutes before Kelli lectured me.

Come to think of it; I don't think I've ever seen him here before; I've been eating here for nearly half my life, and he hasn't shown himself once.

He turns his frame looking at me for a quick second as he finishes wiping the counter; he gives me a soft angelic smile before turning on his feet and heading to the back of the diner.

For a second, I continued staring into the now empty direction, still mesmerized by the recent sight, my old friend Kylo. He looked just as handsome as he did before with the same boyish grin connected to his blushed rosy cheeks.

A small hand waves swiftly over my face catching my attention, "Earth to Mia," I shift my gaze over towards the direction of the owner of the hand, shaking my head in the end.

I slip a strand of hair behind my ear as I watch Kelli continue to wave her hand in my face, "You were like lost in a thought there."

"And what were you even staring at?" She narrows her eyebrows before pressing her hand against the backside of her chair to support her weight as she turns to see what had caught my attention.

"It's nothing," I say, shrugging my shoulders, causing her to look back at me confused.

"What do you mean it's nothing? I didn't know staring into someone's soul and ignoring your best friend's every word was nothing" she looks back behind her, quoting the word nothing.

Kelli has never met or heard of Kylo before. When I met Kylo, Kelli was gone for the entire summer, so she didn't get the chance to met his bubbly personality. By the time she got back from visiting her grandparents, I hadn't even thought to mention him to her.

"It was an old friend that I hadn't seen in forever" I lean forward, cupping my chin into the palm of my hand as I sigh.

"An old friend? Why haven't I heard of or met this old friend?" she looks at me in disbelief, and I let out a small chuckle.

"His name is Kylo; he left; he was long gone by the time you came back from Korea like he never existed. Plus, we were like six or seven, so I got over it pretty fast," I explain while watching Kelli gasp at every word. I laugh at her response before looking past her once again.

"Speak of the devil," I continue as Kylo emerges from the back of the diner and starts taking a new costumers order.

Kelli turns away from me, studying Kylo's appearance, "Him?" She points at him while looking back at me, and I shake my head, quickly biting my lower lip.

"Is he like a model? He looks- wow," she questions, staring back at him as he shares his humanly laugh with the customer.

Laughing, I shake my head at her cocky question, "No, I don't think so."

"Well, didn't you say you guys were friends? Go reunite!" She squeals in her seat from excitement gesturing for me to go over there.

I can barely hold a conversation with myself; how could I possibly talk to an old crush and friend. What if we don't even have anything in common anymore. For all I know, he's like a new stranger.

"Mia! Stop overthinking this. If you don't talk to him, I will" she overlaps her arms and crosses one leg over the other.

I nod, breathing in a huge breath of air; we use to change in front of each other; how hard can speaking to him now?

I take a stand, glancing at Kelli before walking to the counter without any further thinking.

"Hi, what can I get for you today?" Before I knew it, I was already at the counter, and he was smiling at me.