3

"Thank you" I nod before handing the guy a 10 and shutting the door. I began making my way to my house as the wind brushes against my cheeks causing me to shiver slightly. The leaves crush beneath my feet making a sensational crumble.

Being out in the city I nearly forgot summer had ended recently due to the chilly weather. I pull my hand to the knob twisting it before it slips between my fingers and is pulled forcefully causing me to stumble in place.

My heartbeat triples once my brother's large frame stands blocking the entrance of the door. He swings his arms over his chest crossing them as rage flows through his soft brown eyes causing them to darken by the second.

Staring at my hopeless expression his glare softens and he pulls my measly body into his and lets out a strong breath of air against my naked shoulder.

"How could you worry me like this?" He sighs separating his body from mine and glancing at the car that dropped me off.

I throw my head to the side desperately trying not to make any further eye contact with him. His glare would force me to give in and I hated myself for that, I was always vulnerable to his words. He would figure me out faster than I could come up with a lie if I gave him the satisfaction of eye contact.

"I was with Kelli,"  I say looking back into his direction.

He lowers his head causing his loose curls to collapse onto his forehead while they slightly sway through the wind from his head shaking at my abrupt response. A small chuckle slips through his lips and he brings his gaze back to mine.

I narrow my brows at his reaction, I'm always with Kelli what makes this time so different? The door nudges catching my attention and Kelli creeps around it with guilt glued to her blush-shaded cheeks causing her teeth to clench against her lower lip.

She looks away and anxiously rubs the back of her neck, "Sorry Mia, I was just as worried as Ethan. We didn't know where you were" she desperately speaks through Ethan's hard-rimmed expression causing my body to stiffen.

Speechlessly I let my focus lead away from the both of them. I can't say I know why I was so shocked by Kelli's appearance. I hadn't told her where I was heading last night. After I left her place and I promised we'd catch up on things since we haven't gotten sentimental in ages, I guess time slipped my mind once I let the alcohol reach my lips

I still didn't expect her to be gossiping with my brother about my whereabouts. It felt a bit uncomfortable but I can't say I blame her.

I turn back to Ethan awaiting the silence to end, "Where the hell were you Mia?" His glare sucked all the lies right out of me and I remained speechless in my shoes.

For such a kind soul my brother knew the appropriate time to engage in his bad side. It always caught me off guard since I was so used to being around this sweet innocent boyish man that brought laughs and entertainment to the table.

He's everything in a brother and I hated lying to him. The last time I lied to him I was around 13 or 14, I had gotten his girlfriend to leave him after paying a random girl to claim she was having his baby because his girlfriend had a bad vibe to her. 

I was right about her of course, a year later she got pregnant with twins then handed them to her parents before fleeing the city.

Even if Ethan appreciated the dumb lengths I'd go to-to keep toxic people out of his life, he made me swear after that to never lie to him again and it helped our relationship tremendously but this time was different. After my huge breakup and the death of my parents, I decided that I wanted to change and stop harboring my virginity was on so f the first steps.