Then, as they all sat, still in their night out clothes, they devised a plan for May to make sure she didn't embarrass herself further, which wasn't easy to do with what they had.

"You could always just not respond," Niko said, shrugging her shoulders. "Get a new number?"

"No!" Eiko interjected, holding up a finger. "A lady does not put down her head in shame, especially for a drunk text! Proudly proclaim it's you and own up to it! Honesty— best policy."

May looked to Sara, sniffling as she held open her phone. Sara's bright blue eyes were comforting to May. "I think I agree with Eiko on this one, May. You should just own up to it."

"O-okay."

May reached for her phone. It buzzed within her hand without her prompting anything. May opened it frantically, almost dropping it. Her friends leaned over her shoulder. They sputtered, holding in giggles.

>> (1) NEW MESSAGE <<

Aizawa

➞ I know this is you, Dr. Kataoka. Yamada informed me. See you at work on Monday.

read

>> <<

Fuck. May's friends squealed, laughing as her face glowed a hot red color. If Yamada told him about my number, did he know about my comments? What did I even say? May's mind raced, trying to put the pieces of her night together.

The rest of the time spent with her friends was just talking about her job and answering questions they had about pro-heroes.

"You know— you're the only one who's not a pro-hero that works there." Niko pointed out, her mouth full of noodles. "Isn't that a little strange?"

"That's what I thought," May replied, resting her hand on the table. "I don't even know if they were interested in my accomplishments. I think it's my quirk."

"Oh, stop, I know what you are thinking. Of course they saw your achievements, May. It's impressive, and they would be fools to overlook that," Eiko said, propping her elbow on the table. Her wrist went limp, facing upwards.

"Besides, your quirk is interesting. It's not that bad." Eiko's eyes drifting to the ceiling. She inhaled sharply. "It's just blood."

The other three girls blinked at Eiko.

She shrugged, a light smile resting on her face. Her tone was sing-song. "You could fulfill someone's vampire fantasy. It's trendy right now."

"I— I'm. That's not— What?" May blushed, barely able to form coherent words to Eiko's little pokes. Niko and Sara laughed to themselves.

May and her friends caught up about everyone's life after discussing heroes for several hours, picking up from the somewhat forgotten bathroom conversations.

Sara was busy with her three children. She pulled out her phone, swiping through millions of pictures. Eiko asserted that the children had taste because she would send Sara baby clothes for free. Niko broached the subject of children with her wife and explained to the others that they would put in adoption applications soon.

It was bittersweet to listen to their musings about beginning families and taking the next steps in life.

May felt behind, even though she was only twenty-seven. It wasn't their fault, so she kept her feelings down. The way her life shaped itself was due to her choices.