[ 02. ]

☤

May kneeled over the bush, people beginning to stare at her from the streets. In her head, she heard the passerby's taunting her. As if saying, 'dumb May... stupid May... ugly and dumb... not even a real doctor. Look where she is now! Vomiting in a bush!'

May's cheeks glowed red hot, and her fingers shook. It was the worst thing she had done in a while. She fought the lump in her throat, hoping she didn't break a blood vessel in her eye. Meeting famous pro-heroes now felt impossible for her. How could she impress them and prove herself when she lost it all in front of her boss?

A boss that looked like a stuffed toy, to make matters even worse. She felt a furry paw poke at her hands. May coughed, not daring to look at him.

"A piece of gum, perhaps?" Nezu suggested.

She tried to wash the taste out of her mouth with spit. May was utterly convinced that the day could not get any worse. The positives were slim.

At least it wasn't in front of more members of the staff. Despite what he witnessed, Nezu didn't flinch. May's heart went out to him. It was never fun to watch someone spew everywhere.

But he did lie to her. Perhaps it was karma. That's not good to think about, May! She chastised herself, pleading with an imaginary voice in her head to take mercy on her. May's hand loosened around her bag, no longer fighting the weakness in her legs.

"Yes, that would be much appreciated."

She stood tall again, the plants around her morphing into little spirals. The struggle to stay upright weighed on her. She had a damn blood quirk and an iron deficiency. Life simply wasn't fair.

"Are you sure you're alright, Dr. Kataoka? We can postpone this to another day," he said, and she waved her hands back in forth.

"No! No, I'll be fine."

May's belly ached with both the force of vomiting and mild resentment. She swallowed. The desire to please her new boss rose within her— no time to back out now.

She was, after all, trapped within this arrangement. So far, she had done a stellar job at living up to her recommendations. "I promise."

"On with the tour, then?" He asked.

May nodded, relief washing over her. His little paws extended two sticks of spearmint gum in front of her. She gladly swiped them.

"This is the front of the school where all of the students enter. There are other entrances. I'll show you those later." Nezu gestured to the archway. "The school has a guarding system that keeps unwanted visitors out. We will give you a pass after the tour so you can get through without trouble."

The school shimmered against the solid blue sky. The emerald trees and grass appeared to be all the same length, manicured with care. All of the greenery and rainbow-varied flowers gave her heart some sparkle.