I'm not scared.

The Royal Palace, Eraklyon

Skylar's POV

I stirred in my sleep before wincing as I slowly opened my eyes. The sun was too bright again. Where am I?

I blinked in surprise at the really nice living room I was in. It had a golden sparkly thingy hanging from the ceiling. This one had red jewels! So pretty!

I scrunched my face in concentration as I went back into the imagination land in my mind and imagined how fun it would be to draw it with the glitter set Uncle Fred (Superintendent Trottevile) gave me for Christmas last year. When I was satisfied with the picture I yawned. Concentrating was hard work when I didn't have a book or my drawing pad! I turned to look away from the really pretty sparkly thing to look at my sleeping daddy and mummy.

I was snuggled in between the two of them and their fingers were touching on the back of the sofa. I smiled happily. Mummy, Daddy and I were together again! I frowned as I saw how tired Daddy looked. He must have been really busy with work like Mummy said. I couldn't even be mad at him for being too busy for me anymore. I know now that Daddy really loves me and I hope I can stay with both of my parents forever!

I stared in fascination at my Daddy's sleeping face. He looked a lot like me! See, he has the same hair as the blonde streaks in mine and we have the same eyelash colour! I think we have the same eyes too because I noticed that Daddy's eyes were a sky blue that Mummy named me after when he carried me while we were talking. 

I like it when Daddy carries me. He can carry me for longer than Mummy and I like talking to Daddy because he looks like he really wants to listen. Once, not so long ago, I was at the police department because Mummy brought me to the park for vanilla ice cream when there was an emergency call from work and she had no time to bring me back home. I was sitting on a bench when I saw this very interesting guy sitting next to a desk with his hands locked in a shiny metal bracelet attached to the desk. 

Mummy had asked an officer to keep me company but all he did was ask me about myself, and while I was talking he just played with his phone and ignored me even when I stared at him for a very long time just to see if he would notice if I had stopped talking. That was a sure sign he wasn't interested in whatever I had to say so whatever. And he didn't talk much. He's boring.

The interesting guy had brown hair and eyes and was wearing a plain scooped neck t-shirt that was reddish-orange and baggy washed-out blue jeans. His sneakers were blue but they had really cute unicorn drawings on them! It's not every day that you see a guy in unicorn sneakers so I decided I couldn't miss this opportunity to make a new friend. 

I knew Mummy said not to talk to strangers but he seemed like a super nice person!

'Hi!' I went up to him and extended my hand for him to shake when I remembered, 'Oh, silly me, you can't shake my hand - those bracelets look cool but they can be a bit hard to do stuff in don't ya think - My name is Skylar, what's yours?' I gave him an expectant look and a big smile.

The Unicorn Guy blinked and frowned, 'Why are you talking to me?'

'Cos I wanna be friends if that's okay with you!' I beamed. 

'Did your momma never teach you to talk to strangers? I'm a bad person,' he sneered. But the twinkle in his eyes gave me the feeling that he was amused, not annoyed.

I sat down on the nearest chair, which was in front of the desk that the guy was sitting beside, and started swinging my legs. 'Mummy did tell me not to, but I love making new friends and friends always start out as strangers right! And you're not a bad guy,' I giggled. 'That's absurd.'