12: Ill Omens

"It's been three weeks Robert! I knew something was wrong when they didn't check-in." Maryse Lightwood yelled in distress as she paced the office. This mission had been nothing but a headache for the institute since they had received word that Morgan was alive. But like Jocelyn, Robert's sister had to be held accountable for her actions. But now that Alec, Izzy, Jace, and Clary had failed to check in for some time now, they would have to send more people to investigate.

"I share your concern Maryse but the more people we send the more we risk tipping off Morgan," Robert replied he sat scratching his chin in concern as he eyed his wife. He knew his children and their friends were more than capable of taking care of themselves. But missing check-in for so long was beginning to give him pause. His sister was smart, too smart for her own good as their parents had always said.

Now it felt as though every time he closed his eyes he was reminded of his failure to protect her. It shouldn't have mattered how devoted he was to Valentine. Morgan had fiercely protested the suggested match. But Valentine had pressed the issue until both Morgan and Robert felt they had no choice.  He'd been a foolish idiot simply wanting to earn approval from others and encouraged Morgan to follow along. Robert had seen the tears as she said her vows and the marks on her skin when she had dared to disagree with Grayson. It was only with the birth of his nephew that he saw his sister dare crack a smile. Now he realized the rebellion acted as little more than a smokescreen for her and Adonis to disappear.

Robert sighed as he shook his head. "Alright... whatever it takes to bring them all back in one piece." Maybe now he might get the chance to apologize to his little sister as he should have years ago.

      "There is no way in hell I'm letting you take them back to New Orleans Klaus! I'm fully aware of what's going on down there!" Analiese groaned as she opened her eyes to see the mid-morning light stream in through her window. She was home from school for the fourth time that week. Both she and her mother were worried she'd come down with some sort of flu. Analiese rolled over in an attempt to go back to sleep but her parents arguing made it nearly impossible.

"We don't intend to stay long but I would like to show Hope where she was born. I want to get to know Adrianne and Analiese! You can't keep them from me!" Her father shouted back.

"I'm not trying to! But you can't just pull the kids out of school and go sightseeing! Maybe you can go over the summer but not right now!" Her mother shot back in defiance. The two continued going at it until Analiese finally pulled herself out of bed and down the stairs.

"My god if this is what marriage is like I'm glad you two never got together." Her tired voice forced her parents to stop arguing and look in her direction, both giving her sympathetic looks as she shuffled towards the fridge for apple juice. It was something her mother always bought when she or her sisters weren't feeling well.

"Feeling any better?" Analiese shrugged. It had been the same over the past few days and despite taking medication nothing had improved.

"Still the same, unfortunately. But the girls wanted me to help out for the talent show. I promised I'd help." Her mother gave her a look that told her she shouldn't. But she was as stubborn as both her parents if she made a promise she was going to keep it.

"Sorry momma I made a promise and I'm going to keep it." She smirked as she took her glass of juice and made her way back upstairs. Analiese shrugged off her pajamas and went to her closet to pull out something to wear. She went to pull on a tank top and noticed that it felt a bit smaller than the last time.