11: Few Questions and Fewer Answers

Adrianne Bane chewed on her fingernails and stared into the ceiling, bored out of her mind. She had been sitting in the basement for over an hour waiting for the shadowhunters to wake up. It had taken all four of them to drag the unconscious bodies into the cell, the plan was to wait until their mother got home and let her deal with them. Adrianne had been delegated watch duty as Hope had dragged herself up to bed and Analiese had pulled Jonathan upstairs. She had joking called out to her sister to wear protection, the pair had blushed hard it seemed the thought had crossed their minds but neither were going to act on it.

Adrianne had lost her virginity at sixteen, it was damn time her sister saw some action.

Adrianne had never quite understood why her mother had installed a holding area in their basement, glass replaced the iron bars of a normal cell. As her eyes roamed the young unconscious blond that had Jonathan so nervous. He and the redhead laying beside him began to stir, Adrianne couldn't help but smile. The redheaded girl shot up like a rocket the instant she opened her eyes, her head turned from side to side as she tried to figure out where she was.

"Well hello, sunshine." 'Clary' was what Jonathan had called her. When she learned that the girl was Jonathan's sister Adrianne had shuddered. Analiese had confided in her twin the details of what the shadowhunters and Jonathan's father had done to him throughout his life.

Clary's head shot in the direction of Adrianne's voice and narrowed her eyes at her. No doubt, the girl had mistaken her for her sister, to anyone who didn't know the twins well enough would often mistake them for each other.

"Where the hell are we?" Clary stood and walked up to the glass. Adrianne looked the girl up and down unimpressed, what the hell was so special about this girl that she was such a big deal.

"Sorry, hun I don't owe you anything. I'm not my twin." Clary and the blond, whose name, she had learned was Jace glared at her as they tried to hide their surprise. They hadn't expected the girl that Jonathan cared about to have a twin sister. By now the other two shadowhunters had begun to stir and were listening in.

"Kind of a plot twist right? Bet you didn't see that one coming. Don't worry, my sister is around here somewhere hopefully getting laid. Ideally by your brother but we haven't had" Adrianne watched with satisfaction as Clary's face melted into one of disgust.

"You didn't answer my question, where are we?" Adrianne rolled her eyes and stuffed her hands into her sweatshirt. She was glad she changed out of her Miss Mystic dress before she took on watch duty. She stood and walked up to the glass with a smile, she didn't like people threatening her family, and Adrianne certainly saw these people as a threat.

"Why the hell does it matter? You're not getting out of here anytime soon." The opening of the front door to the house drew Adrianne's attention away from the shadowhunters. Morgan had stayed behind at the Salvatore School to help Alaric clean up. She had also been intent on speaking with their father, she had wanted to thank him for stepping up as Hope's escort. Adrianne and her sisters knew their father was trying to make up for his previous mistakes. But Adrianne was nervous to trust her father completely, after all, he was the reason she was nearly assaulted.

"Adri?! Where are you?" She heard her mother call through the house.

"Down here!" She'd been able to inform her mother that something had happened at the pageant. When her mother had sent back a panicked response, Adrianne had only said that people had been after Jonathan and they'd been able to deal with them. She could hear her mother's footsteps thudding down the stairs. Their mother had always told them that she'd left the shadowhunter community because it had become too dangerous. She'd never say anymore, but Analiese and Adrianne always knew that their mother was scared of something much more than a way of life.