7: A Change in the Air

Adonis Lightwood was pissed. From the moment the words passed from Caroline's lips his anger boiled. The man who broke his mother's heart had dared to step across the town line once again. Adonis can still recall that night, the screaming from his mother's bedroom was burned into his memory. His sisters were hurt because of him, he was the man of the house and he couldn't protect them from that bastard. Caroline had allowed him to jump on the next plane home, it had been a week since the "incident" as he called it and his blood still boiled at the thought.

He watched as the town sign flew by, silently thankful Sheriff Donovan wasn't at his usual post to catch speeders. It wasn't a big deal if he was caught but he would take a bit to slow down while going 85 in a 40. Adonis had just speed past the town sign when his cell in the passenger seat started going off. He grappled with the phone until it was within reach and hit the answer button.

"Hey Ric, what's going on?"

"Hope you just got into town because we've got an Adonis problem." What Alaric Saltzman considered an "Adonis problem" was not necessarily a problem that actually required Adonis or his assistance.

"Did Penelope put MG up in a tree again?" The tree incident was still something widely joked about at the Salvatore school. Penelope Park had messed up an important spell and as a result, MG had disappeared. It had taken them three hours to find him up in the biggest tree on school property.

Ric remains silent on the other end. Adonis grows slightly concerned, usually, it was small things but something was telling him that wasn't the case this time. "Ric? What's going on?"

"I don't even know what it is..." The tone of his voice makes Adonis sickeningly nervous. The way he said it made him automatically assume the worst.

"Where are you?" Alaric relayed the information and Adonis stepped on the gas. He continues for another half mile before pulling off to the side of the road where the Alaric's jeep was parked. Adonis threw the car into park and slide out of the driver's seat just as Alaric walked through the trees. He looked relieved when he saw Adonis, he motions in the directions of the trees and the two men head into the forest.

It didn't take long for Adonis to realize why Alaric had been acting so weird over the phone. The creature was laying up against the trunk of a tree, it was a sight that disturbed him greatly.

"By the angel..." Alaric ignored the odd phrase and watched as Adonis knelt in front of the creature in disbelief.

"Do you know what this thing is?" Adonis nodded his head and turned back to him. When his parents were still married his father and a group of shadowhunters had to hunt down a creature exactly like this. Morgan had told her son that The Circle had done experiments on mundanes resulting in what she had called Forsaken.

"They're called Forsaken. They're humans that have had powerful runes burned into their skin. The power and pain are so overwhelming that it creates this..." Adonis gestured to the corpse. Alaric looked at the corpse with shock and disgust. "My mother used to tell me stories about these things but I've never seen one in person."

"How the hell did this happen?!" Adonis stands and crosses his arms.

"I'm less concerned with how and more concerned with why the hell one is in the backroads of Virginia." It was a concerning thought to both men. Adonis swear loudly realizing they needed to get him back to the school to figure out who the poor soul actually was. The two men gripped the corpse under the arms, slowly dragging the body in the direction of Adonis's truck. It took over twenty minutes but the corpse was successfully shoved into the bed of Adonis's truck and covered with a sheet.