He opened his drawer, whipped out a prescription pad and an eyeglasses case. He scribbled something on the pad, then handed the glasses and the scrip to Jason. "Keep the prescription for future reference, but these lenses should work. Try them on."

"Wait," Leo said. "Jason is short-sighted?"

Jason opened the case. "I – I have had a little trouble seeing stuff from a distance lately," he admitted. "I thought I was just tired." He tried on the glasses, which had thin frames of Imperial gold. "Wow. Yeah. That's better."

Piper smiled. "You look very distinguished."

"You look like Grandpa Jason, again," Hina decided.

"I don't know, man," Leo said. "I'd go for contacts – glowing orange ones with cat's-eye pupils. Those would be cool."

"Glasses are fine," Jason decided. "Thanks, uh, Dr. Asclepius, but that's not why we came."

"No?" Asclepius steepled his fingers. "Well, let's see then ..." He turned to Piper. "You seem fine, my dear. Broken arm when you were six. Fell off a horse?"

Piper's jaw dropped. "How could you possibly know that?"

"Vegetarian diet," he continued. "No problem, just make sure you're getting enough iron and protein. Hmm ... a little weak in the left shoulder. I assume you got hit with something heavy about a month ago?"

"A sandbag in Rome," Piper said. "That's amazing."

"Alternate ice and a hot pack if it bothers you," Asclepius advised. "Now, you, sister..." he turned to face Hina, and she was thankful Leo was holding onto her to prevent her from running away. "Nasty scar, but nothing some vitamin B can't repair if wanted. And perhaps some tenderness in the ribs? Hmmm, quite a brush with death you've had, but nothing you can't handle."

Hina opened and closed her mouth, unsure how to reply. 

"I'd suggest ice and limit strain on your lungs. And you.." He faced Leo.

"Oh, my." The doctor's expression turned grim. The friendly twinkle disappeared from his eyes. "Oh, I see ..."

Asclepius seemed to send Leo a silent apology.

Hina heart filled cement, whatever Leo was hiding was serious.

"What?" Jason's new glasses flashed. "What's wrong with Leo?"

"We came for the physician's cure. Can you help us? I've got some Pylosian mint here and a very nice yellow daisy." Leo set the ingredients on the desk, carefully avoiding the snake's mouth.

"Hold it," Piper said. "Is there something wrong with Leo or not?"

Asclepius cleared his throat. "I ... never mind. Forget I said anything. Now, you want the physician's cure."

Hina approached the desk. "But-" 

"Seriously, guys," Leo said, "I'm fine, except for the fact that Gaea's destroying the world tomorrow. Let's focus."

She wasn't finished arguing, but Hina stayed quiet. 

"So this daisy was picked by my father, Apollo?"

"Yep," Leo said. "He sends hugs and kisses."

Asclepius picked up the flower and sniffed it. "I do hope Dad comes through this war all right. Zeus can be ... quite unreasonable. Now, the only missing ingredient is the heartbeat of the chained god."

At least someone is rooting for Apollo, Hina thought bitterly.

"I have it," Piper said. "At least ... I can summon the makhai."

"Excellent. Just a moment, dear." He looked at his python. "Spike, are you ready?"

Leo stifled a laugh. "Your snake's name is Spike?"

Spike looked at him balefully. He hissed, revealing a crown of spikes around his neck like a basilisk's.

Leo's laugh fell silent. "My bad," he said. "Of course your name is Spike."