Chapter One

Kageyama woke up to the usual sight of his plain white ceiling and the annoying sound of the alarm clock. He didn't have the strength to turn it off, so he left it there, ringing. Every morning felt the same to him. But this one was different since it was the first day of high school. While he was brushing his teeth, he began examining his reflection in the mirror. He had grown taller and his body was quite toned. His little checks that his sister loved to pinch had now been replaced by a sharp jawline and his hair was longer than usual.

"Man, I need a haircut." Kageyama mumbled to himself. A few moments later he spat the remains of toothpaste and bloody saliva from his mouth on the sink, wiped his face and went back on his bedroom to get ready for the day.

When he was done dressing up and packing his bag, he opened the door to leave and looked at his grandfather's picture before stepping out of the house.

"I'm trying grandpa, as we agreed." Kageyama sighed as he began walking away and heading to the bus stop.

When Kageyama lost his grandfather it was like a part of him got ripped apart, he became more careless and less lively. It seemed like the only place he would find his peace was the volleyball court.

He waited in the stop for a couple of minutes and when the bus arrived he searched for a seat to get a short nap as always. But this time, out of all times, he overslept and he'd lose his stop if an old lady didn't poke him in the head for him to wake up.

Karasuno high. Kageyama was definitely disappointed that he didn't get accepted by Shiratorizawa. Their volleyball team had reached the finals many times in the past. But still, he was going to play volleyball more and that was enough for him to be happy. Deep inside he was afraid though. He had always been afraid since his last match in junior high. Becoming opponents with his own teammates, what an irony.

He rushed inside his classroom and thankfully, the lesson ended quickly. Later on, he was wandering in the hallway by himself and reached the volleyball court without realizing because of his usual daydreamings. When he went inside to meet the team captains, there was no one. So he had the whole court to himself, a great opportunity. He missed the feeling of being on the court, having the ball perfectly balanced between his hands and tossing it. It was one of the few things that really made him happy.

He was practicing his jump serves when someone rushed inside and literally screamed at his face.

"Why are you here?!"

He recalled himself recognizing that short gingerhead figure

He recalled himself recognizing that short gingerhead figure. In junior high, they played a match together. His team sucked a lot though. But he caught Kageyama's interest. He didn't care about losing and he seemed sure about himself. Kageyama didn't really know if the boy had accepted the fact that his team would certainly lose the match. But he kept reassuring his teammates instead. No matter what mistake they did. In each point they were losing, the boy was pushing himself harder. He lifted the weight of the whole team on his shoulders.

It was pitiful, really. But the fact that the boy wouldn't give up was pissing Kageyama off. He wondered why he kept trying since they were going to lose anyway. The boy was too short in order to block Kageyama's sneaky attacks and his whole team was too inexperienced to attack them back. Kageyama's team was sure about winning, so they went easy on the other ones. Suddenly, a few moments before the first set was over, the boy screamed.

"Toss it to me!"

He hit the ball with his eyes clossed and the next thing Kageyama saw was the ball landing with an insane speed in the middle of their court. He was shocked. After the hit, the gingerhead fell on the floor and one of his teammates offered his hand to pick him up, but he got up by himself, looked at Kageyama and shouted cheerfully. That was the first point they got. In the end, the match ended with Kageyama's team winning all sets and both teams left the court in silence.

As Kageyama and his team were leaving, the short boy called out for his name and Kageyama turned around to face him. The boy wasn't the same as he was in the court. He was crying and he seemed so vulnerable, it was creeping Kageyama out, since he wasn't used to people's emotional outbursts.

"Someday, I will beat you." the boy cried. "I'm going to beat you and then I'll go to nationals. You just watch me!"

Stubborn. That's all Kageyama could think. A stubborn boy with big expectations. He really had mixed feelings about him. He thought he was annoying and he wouldn't face reality. But on the other hand, Kageyama really wanted to face him again in the future. That passion that the boy had while playing, it was something Kageyama had never seen before. He hated to admit it, but it thrilled him.

But now that boy was in the same court with him, wearing the same school jersey as him. That meant only one thing. Kageyama Tobio was in the same team with Hinata Shoyo.