it's not Ideal, but it's a Start

Comenzar desde el principio

it seemed as though we were the last to arrive, when we got to the club room and it was empty.

"i told you, asahi!" daichi said, quickly throwing his stuff down and starting to change.

"yeah, i know, you told me," i grumbled, setting my things down as well.

suga didn't say anything, just giggled quietly and hummed to himself as he changed.

i took a quick glance at daichi, and saw him staring at suga with The Most whipped facial expression i had ever seen.

i chuckled softly to myself as i stuffed my clothes in my cubby and grabbed my volleyball shoes.

i walked down to the gym, figuring i'd give daichi and suga a minute alone 😳 before they came down too.

i walked into the gym and looked around at all the little groups before spotting nishinoya and tanaka on the floor a short distance between the other second years and the managers.

they seemed to be having some type of conversation, but i wanted to talk to noya, so i walked over to them.

"noya?" i said softly, looking down at them.

they both sat up quickly.

"what is it?" he asked, sounding hesitant, which was unusual for him.

"could i talk to you... alone?"

he made a face.

"whatever you have to say to me, you can say in front of ryū," he declared.

"alright." i sat on the floor next to them. "i don't want things to be awkward between us anymore, i hate it."

"you think i like it? it fucking sucks."

"yeah... which is why i wanted to talk. i know our talk last night was a little... rocky... but i want to at least try to be friends again."

he stared at me with narrowed eyes for a second, then resumed his normal expression.

"alright."

"alright?"

he shrugged.

"yeah. i don't see why not."

he held his fist out for a fist bump, and i gladly obliged.

"okay, so anyway, suga and daichi walked with me to school this morning, and i swear to god, daichi is so whipped."

"oh man, tell me about it! literally, he doesn't even try to hide it, they're so married."

"not to barge into this conversation..." tanaka began.

"go ahead," noya said.

"okay, y'all are talking about how whipped daichi is, have you seen suga?! seriously, there are some times where i'm surprised he doesn't get a nosebleed."

noya laughed loudly, and i chuckled.

"seriously."

as i took in the situation, i smiled. i wasn't expecting it to be this easy, and it wouldn't always be, but i was glad for this small bit of normal-ness.

then something a bit startling happened. for the first time in days, tanaka willingly addressed me directly without being angry and/or protective of noya.

"asahi, you've known them the longest. have they always been like that? what's it like being a third wheel?"

i thought about it.

"well... at the beginning of first year, obviously we had just met, so it was a bit awkward at first, but we all became good friends pretty quickly. and daichi and suga obviously had feelings for each other by the start of second year, but it wasn't until summer break that they actually got together. and being a third wheel to them is a bit awkward sometimes, but they try to keep it all friendly when i'm around."

"that's considerate of them."

"yes, they do tend to be considerate people."

the gym door slid open again, drawing our attention.

"well, speak of the devils," noya said.

"do you think they were in there fucking?" tanaka whispered.

i shuddered.

"i didn't leave them along for that long. plus, i don't wanna think about that."

"yeah, it's just weird and gross. i mean, fine for them, but i don't wanna know, that's none of my business."

"yeah, true."

practice started soon after, and went pretty well. a few awkward moments, but it was definitely an improvement from yesterday.