Bread

I tried to move, but it seems like I am rooted at the place where I'm standing. No words can escape my mouth. My brain stutters for a couple of seconds and every part of me just goes on pause. I need to do something. I throw a glance at her then I noticed her looking at me as if I'm something she isn't familiarized with.

I started to walk towards her. She's wearing a dress that is ripped, dingy, and full of stains. I can easily say it's worn out. I looked at her closely, realizing that her eyes mirrored a beautiful soul. She looks like she's known for an intense suffering. Her every gestures give me signs that she needed to be nurtured. She took a step closer to me and stare at me like she's studying every details I possess.

Out of the blue, the toy parrot that I saw a while ago flew and land on the woman right shoulder. "I'll try to make him follow me and you need to get something hard and hit him in the head." the parrot said while raising its wings as if saying something important that only the two of them shall know.

"I heard you as clear as crystal." I said while regaining my composure, hiding the fact that I'm a bit frightened. What kind of toy is that? Why does it talk like human? Why does it look so much like a real parrot? I was only able to differentiate because the parrot in front of me has legs made out of metal.

"Why are you here? What do you need? And how did you get here?" the parrot asked me while sending me death glares. "I know! Hit him in the head so hard that he'll forgot about this encounter and after that we will throw him somewhere far from here" the parrot faced the woman, trying to convince her with his evil plans.

"Look I don't want to be here as well. I got lo-"

"We'll go with you" the woman said without even letting me finish what I'm going to say. "Are you nuts?! No I won't let you. We will stay here" the parrot said who disagree wholeheartedly.

The woman walked towards the bed while talking to the parrot. All I can hear is them whispering to one another. Im getting hungry. I took out the piece of bread I packed before I left and start taking a bite. The bread is fluffy and tastes... Wonderful! I've never had a bread like this. When I get back I'll buy dozens of them. The moment I saw them staring at me I swear I stopped eating.

"What are those?" parrot asked.

"Bread. Here have some" I replied. I extended my arms to give the parrot some bread. Don't worry I gave some to the woman too. Aren't I what you call a gentleman? I'm just too kind hahaha. I can see them eating the bread like hungry predators. They're scary. I bet they can eat a whole pig without blinking.

"I demand more!" They said at the same time. I told you they're creepy! I instantly gave them more. What caught my attention was the unhealed stiches at the woman's body particularly at the ankle, knees, elbow, wrists and neck. What happened to her? Curiousity will eat me if ever I won't do something. There is something different with that woman. I know!

"There's more where that came from. If you come with me I'll give you plenty of bread." I said. I instantly caught a glimpse of agreement in their eyes. "So please let's head out now. Do you know a way out?" the woman nodded as an answer to my question.

"You will regret making this deci-"the parrot said but got interrupted by the woman. "You have no choice but to go with me right?" said by the woman with a blank face.

The woman walked ahead of me and I followed her. I can say that the house is old, from the way it creak. But not like what we commonly see at some horror story. It is more like making you feel frightened because at any time it'll break. I observed the place as we walk. Walls are made out of old woods with water stains that serve as its scars. Water seeps through corners just to nurse mildew and rise up wallpaper that peel. Cracked window with molds. Tables are cracked and splintery. Around are the artifacts that was once belonged to someone. The sepia photograph are a time warp of long forgotten moments. We stopped walking in front of the collapsed doorway but we can still make our way out.

Outside, the abandoned house seems like it had chosen soltitude for itself. Standing still in the middle of nowhere. Its highly polished natural slate tile makes the roof perfect.

"Hey" the woman said and caught my attention. Only there I realized that her hair was like an ocean wave, gently reflecting the light from the sun, with strands dancing freely at the autumn breeze. Everything compliment her stillness. Am I daydreaming?

"Let's find our way our of this forest" I said brushing everything off.

"You're coming with me right?" I asked.

"Yeah. I will. but only for the bread ok?" the woman replied.