I stared at Callie, keeping pity out of my eyes. There was nothing worse than the pity of others. Even if they understand, you don't feel like they do, and don't think they deserve to give you that look. It's the worst look anybody could ever give you.

"How do I know you won't just turn your back on me too?" She asked, stepping a bit closer to the edge. In my mind, I willed her not to move anymore. She looked so weak, so vulnerable. The same way I used to look. I'm stronger now, though, and I can help.

I laughed humorlessly at what she had said and shook my head. "That's the funny thing about life; you'll never know. Never be a hundred percent sure of anything. But, I am ninety-nine percent sure of this: sometimes taking a risk in life can lead to amazing things. Sure, sometimes those amazing things—well, sometimes they leave, but, there's still this chance that they won't. Please, take that risk. Take it with me; we'll do it together. Whatever happens, I'll stand by your side. Please just take my hand."

I was sobbing by now. I couldn't watch another person die and just stand by helplessly. Not again. I would protect her no matter what she did to me.

Callie looked at me with huge tears streaming her cheeks. Slowly, she nodded, and reached out for my hand. When a large gust of wind attacked us, Callie's foot slipped and she fell back. She shrieked and I jumped towards her. I landed on my stomach, a hand clasped tightly in mine. Callie, now dangling off of the roof, was sobbing and begging me not to let go.

"Callie! Callie, calm down!" I yelled, making her blubbering cries for me to help her stop. "I'm going to pull you up, okay. I've got you, it's going to be okay. Don't look down, alright?"

It was agonizingly slow how long I took to pull Callie up. With how little I've eaten and my lack of sleep, I'm not that strong. When I finally got her up, we stood there for a moment, watching each other. We were both in shock, and I was sure that Callie's life had just flashed before her eyes. Mine surely would have.

Callie stepped down from the ledge, then threw her arms around me and cried. We lowered ourselves to our knees and hugged, crying as the adults broke down the door. Even then, we still sobbed. The Art Man came over to the two of us and enveloped us in a warm hug. Then we let go completely. Every tear we had left came out in that moment.

After over an hour of crying we were taken off of the roof. Police officers carried both of us onto the safe ground. When we were put on our feet a man shot out of the crowd. He enveloped Callie in a hug and sobbed. She did too, crying out, "I'm sorry Daddy," over and over.

The Foster Man and The Foster Lady came rushing out and hugged me. "Quinn! Don't you ever scare us like that again!" The Foster Lady sobbed.

"Mom, Dad. I'm sorry," I sniffled. "I'm sorry I never called you that before, I'm sorry I ran off, I'm sorry for every time I got mad at you, I'm so sorry Mom and Dad!" I was sobbing again. They stared at me in shock for a moment before hugging me again.

"Quinn, we love you so much," Dad whispered as he kissed my head. "So, so much."

"It's all okay now, baby. We love you," Mom sobbed.

I wailed as the school crowded around us. My siblings all shot out of the crowd and joined the hug. After a while, I broke away from my family and walked over to Callie. I hugged her tightly and whispered, "I mean what I said. We're friends now, and we're taking the risk together. You'll give life a chance, and I will too. Fight to live like I have, and something amazing will happen. I promise, Callie, you'll see."

Callie nodded and hugged me tighter, whispering, "Thank you, Quinn. Something amazing already has happened, though. I have you as a friend."

After a few more minutes of the crowd being put under control, Callie and I were taken to an ambulance. We were sat down and wrapped in shock blankets. My eyelids were heavy, and drooped down. I let out a yawn as I slowly drifted off. Callie did the same.