The Last Human

Vladsmiriov, November 1841

Thunder clapped above the kingdom of Lord Dracula as the clouds drifted closer until the full moon was completely invisible for the eye. Heavy raindrops poured down from the sky hitting the roofs of the Victorian houses of the capitol as the vampires hurried inside their houses. Many returned from the opera and fled to the numerous pubs that lay within the heart of the capitol.  

An unfamiliar sound filled the night sky as the clock struck midnight and a new day officially started. The source of the sound was not only easily picked up the ear, but the mouthwatering scent as well. Vampires circled around the source, showing versatile emotions, varying from fascination to plain hunger.

“Out of the way!”, a strong female voice commanded the crowd as she pushed through the crowd. A small black umbrella, decorated with lace and elegant ruffles around the edge kept her expensive similar colored dress from soaking by the rain. The beautiful woman with dark blonde hair that was elegantly pinned to her head, was suite followed by an equally pale men with black sleek hair and a black coat. Their eyes widened at the sight in front of them.

People bowed for the King and Queen and some even scared away when Lord Dracula’s black eyes flashed the brightest shade of red. Lord Dracula and his wife Narcissa were soon joined by their four sons, who appeared at their side with astonished expressions.

“A human baby?”, the oldest prince, Dimitri, gasped and looked at his father in concern.

“Impossible”, the second youngest prince,Adrian, whispered and stared at the human child in awe. The last humans had a couple of hundreds of years ago during the Great Fall and the original vampires had made sure that those still living had been turned into vampires. A human child was indeed impossible, yet the small tender baby lay in front of their eyes, on the cold stone ground as thick raindrops wetted its naked body. Its cries echoed through the night air and pained their ears like stakes through their hearts.

Those once human were no longer able to listen to the unbearable and unfamiliar sound that  they used to be able to produce their own. They had grown alienated from their previous lifestyle and had forgotten their human lives. Now, all they wanted to do was drain the human child till the last drop of blood, but the king’s commands were stronger than their cravings for blood.

Lucian, second son of Lord Dracula, stared at the human baby in admiration. Never in his life had he heard something as majestic as the baby’s cry. He was born a vampire and raised a vampire; never had he contacted any humans until the Great Fall. Humans were deemed weaklings and deserved to die. Their whiny king was upset by the amount kills of the newborn vampires and waged a war against the vampires. Lord Dracula, being a moral man, decided not to kill all, but give them a choice: either live as a vampire or die as a human.

“Bring it to the palace”, Lord Dracula ordered his men as he waved at them with two fingers, never averting his eyes from the human child. “Unharmed”, he added, being aware that his soldiers were Newborns that had trouble resisting the heightened pulse of the baby that was still screaming its lungs out.

As a soldier walked forward, hesitant about holding the baby, Lord Dracula and his wife returned to their black carriage, which was stalled right behind the circled crowd which moved out of their King’s and Queen’s way as they passed by. The Queen’s face carried a worried expression as she glanced back over her shoulder at the human child.

The four princes waited until the baby was carried away before following their parents into the carriage and leaving the amazed crowd behind. Lucian glared provocative at the vampires, daring them to take one step closer to the human child before he’d rip their head off. He wasn’t merciful like his father or his younger brother, Adrian.Adrianwas known to the people as ‘the good prince’, because he was believed to have a kind heart. Such thing was highly unlikely considering his heart had been dead for hundreds of years.