| childhood |

tw: abuse , blood

× × ×

"kenma, can you fetch me a few batteries from the basement?" mrs. kozume asked kenma has he gave her a nod.

"do you want to come with me?"

"i don't like basements." you told kenma

"why?"

"its scary and dark. we might get locked in." you told him

"if i hold your hand, it'll be less scary right?" he said as he took your hand. "don't worry, we have lots of lights in the basement." he assured you.

"you promise?" you said and tugged the end of his sleeve.

"promise what?"

"that you wont let go of my hand"

"i promise," he said as he held your hand tightly. "i wont let go, okay?"

• × •

"ENOUGH. BOTH OF YOU ARE SO STUPID" you heard your father yell as he threw stuff all over the house. it was noisy. it was terrifying.

'this will all be over soon'  you kept telling yourself over and over again as you cuffed your ears.

tears were streaming down your face as the yelling began to get louder and louder,

and so suddenly, you heard your mom scream as a loud thud from downstairs echoed the whole house.

you went out of your room and tiptoed to the stairs

it felt weird. no. something felt wrong.

slowly making your way down from each step of the stairs, you saw your mom lying on the ground.

"..mommy?" you quietly said as you made your way to her

there was liquid gushing out from her head, "mommy?" you loudly said as your hands were tainted with blood. "mommy!!" you yelled once more. with panic overwhelming you, you continued to scream, "why are you not waking up!! mommy!!" you cried as faint footsteps were heard from behind.

"You are so fucking loud!" you heard your father say as he grabbed you by your hair, "please don't hurt me"

"please save mommy" you kept crying.

he had no pity. the whole house was in chaos.

as he kept dragging you down the stairs, "stay here." your father said

"inside the basement where you belong"

"no!! please, don't leave me, i need to go to mommy" you cried and cried.

and with no remorse, your father hit your head against the wall. everything felt lighter. he pushed your small body inside the basement and locked it.

leaving you dizzy, hurt, and afraid. you kept banging the door, but to know avail. he never went down.

the last thing you heard from upstairs where loud sirens and knocking.

you tried your hardest to stay awake, but your eyes slowly drifted as you felt blood drift from the back of your head.

• × •

| kenma |

it was noisy. i couldn't play my game properly at all. there were sirens from police cars and even ambulances near our house, it was bothering.

i went down the living room to see my parents about to leave

"mom, dad, where are you going?"

"why are there so many sirens?" i asked them.

"the neighbors called the police since (first name)-chan's house was awfully noisy. it turns out there was an accident inside her house." mom explained,

"dad and i will go check, please stay behave." mom once again said.

"i want to come with. i want to know if she's okay."

mom and dad both looked at each other with deep concern, "its better if you stay here, okay?"

"but i want to go."

"kenma, listen to mom, we'll be back as soon as we can." dad said as they made their way out of the house.

i wanted to go.

i want to know if she's okay.

i decided to open the tv to see the news,  everything was still so noisy. i switched the channels and saw our street on the newsflash.

"A man in his late thirties was arrested tonight for attempted murder and child abuse—"

as soon as i heard the news anchor say those words, i quickly ran off outside. i shut the door and ran as fast as i could to (first name)'s house.

i saw a lot of people and news teams in front of her house, i battled my way in the crowd.

as i saw an ambulance loading in a patient, i ran towards them.

"(full name), lost a lot of blood and was found unconscious inside the basement. get her treated, stat." you heard the police say to the first aiders.

i walked towards the bed and saw (first name) unconscious. they were preparing to leave.

dumbfounded. i had to witness such an event before it hit me.

(first name) got hurt.

"kenma? kenma! what are you doing here!" you heard your mom say as she ran towards you

you stared at her in disbelief and said, "mom.. (first name).."

"she'll be okay," mom said as she hugged me.

"we need to go to her!" i suddenly yelled.

"she told me.. she told me!" i frantically said

"she told me i was home!" i started to cry

"we'll visit her tomorrow, kenma. i promise" mom said.

"we don't know if she'll be okay tomorrow!" i yelled as i was wiping tears off my eyes.

"..i told her.. ill try my hardest to keep her safe.."

• × •