Chapter 12

*Author's note: So sorry for the wait! Thank you for being patient with this story!

Kirishima sucked in a sharp breath and Bakugo glanced at him in confusion. Kirishima's face was pale. "Sir, I know I messed up but if you'd give us another chance-"

The president shook his head. "Having heroes in relationships be partners is against company policy. There are too many complications. Emotions inevitably cloud judgement and people get hurt. We were lucky this time, all things considered. Besides. Tetsutetsu has been a real asset in our eastern division. I'm sure he'll be a great partner. At least temporarily. You've been doing pretty good lately Bakugo, I do think Kirishima has been a positive influence on you. Consider this like a small stepping stone to being on your own again. Kirishima was like a crutch, Tetsutetsu is like a walking cast. Pretty soon you'll be walking on your own again. In the meantime, take the weekend off and come in on Monday ready to patrol with Testsutetsu."

Testsutetsu formally held his hand out to Bakugo, and Bakugo reluctantly shook it. "I'm excited to be your new partner, it's good to see you again. I've been following your career since UA, I'm honored, truly." His smile was as wide and toothy as Kirishima's but lacked warmth to it. Bakugo glanced at his teeth and remembered how it felt when Kirishima bit into his skin. He felt his face getting warm and looked away in embarrassment.

Kirishima coughed and patted Tetsutetsu on the shoulder heavily. "It's good to see you again, you make sure to take care of Bakugo for me, ok?" His words were friendly but there was no mistaking the sharp warning in his tone.

Testsutetsu's smile turned into a knowing smirk. "Don't worry, I'll take care of your...." His face screwed up in mock confusion. "Ex? Ex-partner, I mean."

"Boyfriend." Kirishima glared at Tetsutetsu now.

Bakugo stiffened. What the fuck? He grabbed Kirishima's arm and pulled him toward the office door. "I'll see you Monday morning, Tetsutetsu. I apologize for all the trouble we caused today, President."

Bakugo dragged Kirishima out of the office and pulled him into an empty meeting room. "Boyfriend?! Since when? I don't remember that conversation."

Kirishima rubbed the back of his neck. "Look, everyone is going to know about us now. There's no point trying to hide it. Do you want everyone grilling you about us? They're going to want to know what we are. Having a label will stop at least some of those awkward conversations from happening."

Bakugo wasn't sure how he felt about everyone thinking that they were boyfriends. But he could see Kirishima's point. He sure as shit didn't want people giving him attitude and getting all judgmental. "You want people to think we're boyfriends now even though our deal is off?"

Kirishima froze, and his eyes went wide. "What? Off why?"

"The rules, remember? Rule One- This relationship is temporary and when our partnership ends, it ends. Rule Two- We stay best friends no matter what. Rule Three- No messing around during our shifts. Rule Four- Stay professional and respectful. Rule Five- Keep us a secret." Bakugo ticked the rules off on his fingers as he repeated them.

Kirishima opened and shut his mouth in hesitation. "We've already broken rule three and five. Do you want to stop this thing between us?"

No. The answer rattled around in his mind, rocking him. He looked away from Kirishima and a silence rested heavily between them.

"Fuck if I know," Bakugo answered finally. If he wasn't an idiot he would call things off now but he couldn't lie and bring himself to say yes.

Tetsutetsu poked his head into the meeting room. "Oh, hey, look, sorry to come between your partnership. No hard feelings, right?" He cocked his head in Kirishima's direction.