Chapter Twelve

"Welcome to crackhead wasteland." Sarah said as we pulled up outside the guy's house on the cut.

"I don't know about this, man." Pope frowned.

"I agree. That guy had a gun. What if he finds us again?" I asked as we stopped moving.

"Yeah, why are at Barry's?" John B then asked JJ who took the keys and climbed out of the van.

"This'll only take a second." JJ replied as he walked over to the house.

"Where are you going?" I questioned as I opened the back door of the van.

"Yo soy justicia." JJ exclaimed as he entered the building.

"Did you glean anything from that?" Pope asked us.

"You know somebody should probably-" Kiara began as John B opened the door and climbed out of the vehicle.

"Yeah, I got it." He told us as he followed JJ inside.

It was a few moments later that JJ walked back outside with a bag in his hand. The rest of us were no longer in the van as we waited anxiously to leave. "Alright, so we're looking at five grand each for reparations for putting us through that bullshit." JJ smiled as he reached into the bag and pulled out some money. "Sorry about that y'all."

"So that's what we're doing now?" Kie questioned. "We're robbing drug dealers?"

"This Barry guy's gonna find out." Sarah added. "And he's gonna come after us."

"Yes, he will." Pope said. "This is not the time to start willing out."

"How'd you guys like having a gun pulled on you?" JJ asked us.

"Relax." John B said softly as he approached JJ.

"He had it in you right here, bro." JJ said as he pointed to the spot on John B's face.

"Look. We've gotta go get the gold, okay? Just give me that shit. We're putting it back."

John B reaches for the bag and as he grabbed it, JJ pinned him up against the van and took it back. "JJ!" I shouted.

"Do you feel like a tough guy? Huh? What are you gonna do when he comes for us?" John B asked him.

"We punch him in the throat." JJ said.

"Yeah, good fucking idea, JJ."

"I'm not putting it back." The blonde replied before climbing into the van. We all looked at him and frowned as we didn't follow. "You guys getting in or what?" We stayed quiet and JJ climbed back out of the van with the money. "What?"

"We're sick of your shit." John B told him.

"Oh, my shit?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Your shit."

"Your pulling guns on people shit." Kiara said.

"You acting like a freaking manic-"

"Okay, Pope, I took the fall for you, man!" JJ shouted as he cut the boy off. "Do you know how much money I owe because of you?"

"I'm gonna pay you back, and I didn't ask you to do that."

"I just did pay it back." JJ told him. "Right here, right now, by myself. You know what? That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Go off by myself."

JJ began to walk away and I frowned at Pope before following him. "JJ." I said. "JJ, wait!" JJ then stopped walking and turned around.

"What, Alissa?" He asked me. "What could you possibly say that would make me feel less shitty?" I stayed quiet because I didn't know what to say. "Yeah, that's what I thought." He told me before he continued to walk.