Chapter One

I sat at on the roof of the unfinished house with my legs straddled over the ridge. I had pushed my long blonde hair behind my shoulders as I sat in a black bikini top and shorts, using my dark brown eyes to look at my friend balancing off the edge of the roof in front of me with a beer in his hand. John Booker Routledge. We call him John B. I'm the closest thing he has to a sister. I'm the closest thing he has to any family right now. You see, John B's dad went missing at sea nine months ago and as much as he tries to tell us, I don't think he's quite over it.

"That's what, a three story fall to the deck?" Pope asked the boy. I looked over at the boy looking up from below. He was my best friend and he was probably the person I could trust the most out of my friends. I could tell him anything. "I give you about a one in three chance of survival."

"Should I do it?" John B asked him.

"Please do." I smiled. "I can give you a boost."

"I'll shoot you on the way down." Pope told him as he held a nail gun up and aimed at the boy.

"You'll shoot me?" John B questioned.

"Pope, put that thing down before you hurt yourself." I said.

"Pew, pew." Pope then mimicked as he placed the nail gun down on the side.

I then started to climb down the roof before sliding onto the scaffolding below and sitting on it beside JJ. I couldn't lie, I was attracted to JJ and we've shared a few moments in the past few weeks but as Pogues, there are rules we have to follow. He was a good friend and I didn't want to do anything that could jeopardise that. "Hey, that's mine!" The boy exclaimed as I picked up his beer and began to drink from it.

"And I don't care." I grinned. "I finished mine and you said you weren't giving me another one."

"Fine, just take one." The boy sighed as he handed me the pack. I smiled and took them from him before thanking him and helping myself to a new beer.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kiara said as she walked out of the house. She's the only other girl within our circle. We call her Kie. She's also the one person I can talk to about girl things because Pope, he wouldn't understand.

"Of course they are. Why wouldn't they?" JJ asked her.

"You're kidding." I said. "This used to be a turtle habitat."

"Who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kie asked.

"I can't have cold towels." JJ announced.

"Nobody asked you." I told him as Kiara looked up at John B who was still balancing on the roof.

"Can you please not kill yourself?" She questioned.

"Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one." JJ added.

"Woah! Oh, shit." John B then exclaimed as he lost his balanced, regained it and dropped the beer on the deck.

"Of course you did. Right when I told you not to." JJ sighed.

"You can have mine." I called as I put my beer down in front of me. "I changed my mind. I don't want it."

"What? But that's such a waste." JJ then complained.

"Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up." Pope then told us.

"Boys are early today." JJ said as he climbed to his feet before helping me up.

"Where's my shirt?" I questioned.

"Come on, Ali." John B told me as he climbed off the roof with my shirt in his hand before walking off in front.