When Parenting Gets Tough

-
-
-
TW:
PTSD, intrusive thoughts,

Tony smiled down at Peter as he sat on the edge of the medical bed fiddling with the bandaid on his hand. "Don't mess with it too much or we'll just have to put it back on." Tony Warned in a gentle yet authoritative voice.

"Sorry." Peter murmured. "When do you wanna Tell Maya that your, y'know, here? She still has no idea." Tony asked.

"As soon as I can. I don't want her to go another second in worry but at the same time I think it'd be best to wait at least a little." Peter said seeming to hate his own plan.

"I know this stinks. And you don't deserve any of this." Tony tried to comfort.

'He's wrong, you know that. You deserve it all. Your selfish. Your reckless. You don't deserve Maya. Your a mess. Your a murderer.'

The last one his hard. 'A murderer?' Peter thought. 'Sure I've...killed..people before but a murderer?'

He was brought out of his thoughts my Tony snapping his fingers in front of Peter's face. "You good kid?" He asks.

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I just spaced out." Peter answered quietly. Most of the time when Peter spoke it was with a slight cockiness. The only reason he spoke like that was to hide his pain. But now he didn't have a strong voice. He didn't have any trace of confidence, even if when he did it was all fake. His voice was now small, weak, scared.

"I'm so darn happy to have you back, Peter." Tony couldn't help himself from saying.

Peter wanted to smile at him. He wanted to show happiness on his face. But he couldn't. He couldn't bring himself to faking a smile right then. Instead he looked at the ground and mumbled,"It's good to be back."

In hydra you weren't to talk unless spoken to and even then you shouldn't always respond. And if you dared stutter then it wouldn't turn out good so Peter made sure to to speak without a stutter. You know, just in case.

Tony smiled sadly down at the young boy.

"I need to go take care of a couple things do you think you'll be okay for a little while?" He asks.

"Yeah I'll be fine, don't worry about me." Peter reassured. Tony then left the room to go talk to the rest of the avengers. "How is he?" Natasha asks.

"He claims he's okay but he did just get out of a hydra facility." Tony explains.

Natasha only nods. "What am I supposed to do?" Tony Asks as he sits down next to her. Natasha was always good for advice. No one that they knew of was in the room so that gave them a bit of privacy.

"You gotta be more specific, Tones." Natasha says.

"Well he's only a kid and he's gone through unimaginable stuff which has definitely left a toll on him. I just don't know what I can do to fix that." Tony explains.

"He has obvious trauma from Hydra and literally anything else that has gone on in his life. Unfortunately we don't even know everything that happened to him, even before hydra. He's a strong kid even if he fakes it at times. I'm sure he had some PTSD but in most cases it goes away over time." Natasha explained.

Tony thought over her words as she continued.

"Most of the time the effects that were left on people from past events fade over time but  because Peter had multiple traumatic experiences that have taken places he hasn't been given a chance to recover." Natasha tries to explain to Tony. She was trying to soften it as if she was talking to a Child.

"Then I'll give him a chance to recover. I won't let anything happen to him, ever." Tony said confidently. After a moment of silence Tony's confidence withdrew as he slumped back into his hands.

"Am I doing it right? I just don't know if I'm gunna mess something up because children grow with what they were taught by their authorized figure and I don't want Peter to grow up like me. Ijustdontknowifim
doinganythingrightcauseithinkimfailinbut-" Halfway through his sentence Tony's talking turned into a rant fueled by emotion.

Natasha has been friends with Tony long enough to understand his rants.

"Tony, listen to yourself. Repeat your sentence in your head, slower." Natasha said, failing to hide a wide grin.

Tony mumbles what he said again under his breath, not understanding what Natasha was trying to accomplish. Natasha sighed. "You truly are hopeless, Tony." She chuckled.

"You sound like a dad, Tony." She said.

"A good dad. One who cares and wants what's best for their kid. Your doing great Tony." Natasha said, smiling wide.

Realization hit Tony. "Shoot, I am a dad aren't I? I've always seen something in Peter and Maya and always saw them as my kids but-holy guac I see them as my kids!"

Natasha couldn't hold back a small laugh. "Am I doing it right then?" Tony asks. "Yes, your doing great." Natasha supports.

"I just, I just, don't know how to be a father." Tony admits. Natasha puts a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Yes you do, you've been doing it this whole time." She comforts.

"I feel like I need to get some parenting magazines or something to be honest." Tony says only half joking.

"How do I parent a spider child? No, my spider child." Tony said. Natasha had the widest grin, she had been waiting for the day he would finally realize how important he was in Peter's life.

"Well, you become their biggest fan. You sit beside them so their not alone, infront of them when they need guidance, and behind them when they need support." Natasha says simply.

"I mean you are aware that you have called them your kids before, right?" Natasha jokes.

"I guess but I never, I just, I don't know, it never sunk in...." Tony admitted rubbing the back of his neck.

Natasha laughed. "You, sir, are a dad. Now go be with your child."

"Thanks, nat." Tony said walking off to the medical room.

"But how do I know I'm being a good father?" Steve asked Bucky in a panicked tone as he ran his hands through his hair in a separate room then Tony and Natasha.

A/N
I meant to upload this last night I'm so sorry! I hope your all having lovely days and staying safe. Thanks so much for the support, votes, comments and 9k reads! That's insane so thank you all so much!

Until next chapter-Bye!