When Hoping For The Best Isn't Enough

-
-

TW
Slight torture, pain, overall meanness.

(I realized I should probably put more trigger warnings for this book and on past chapters so I'm sorry if I missed any. Feel free to tell me any I missed)

Peter sucked in an uneven breath as he waited for what would come next. He stood there and refused to show emotion, doing his best to mimic a mind controlled hydra soldier.

The man walked closer to Peter until he was practically inches away from his face. Peter's chocolate brown eyes met the man's devilish chartreuse, forest green, eyes.

The man's eyes looked cold, lifeless, and purely evil whilst a Peter's were filled with hope, life, and a look only a child, which he was, could possess. At the same time that his eyes were filled with hope they were also filled with despair and pain.

Many people forget that Peter is a child. A child who had been through pain and suffering. He acted too mature for his age but in his mind he had to. He had to be the adult in Maya's life, the one to be there for her, because at the time no one else was.

That's what pain does to you.

It happened in a snap. Of coarse it always does. Always the same thing, and each time he never expects it, he then curses his mind for it.

People came in, dragged Peter away to the 'convincing room'. That's what it was called and what it was. When in the end it was just another torture room.

As the pain was going on Peter tried to block it out but it was so hard. He tried everything.

'365 days in a year, 366 on leap year. There are eight planets. Neil Armstrong landed on the moon in 1969, July 20, 1969. He died in 2012.' Peter did his best to just repeat facts.

Just do anything at all to block out the pain and the evil laughs, snickers, cries, and screams. He didn't realize the screams and cries were his own until minutes had passed for repetitive pain.

"S-stop your hurting me." Peter whimpered.

He hadn't realized he said it until he did. The hydra soldier who was 'disciplining' him grinned and continued to trace Peter's skin with a sharp blade.

He didn't have the strength to wipe his tears, he didn't have the strength to struggle, he didn't have the strength to care. The only thought that kept him going was,'At least Maya's safe. As long as she's okay, I'm okay.'

Peter smiled even though a person was currently holding a burning rod to his skin.

'At least she's okay.'

In New York

"I just miss him." Maya mumbled into Natasha's shirt. "I don't get why this has to happen in a completer cycle."

Natasha's gaze softened as she wrapped her arms around the slightly crying child. "He'll be back soon, I'm sure. Soon we'll find him and he'll be just fine." Bruce said, not knowing how to deal with comforting a child. Natasha gave him a small, weak, smile.

Tony was currently passed out from sleep deprivation with his head on Steve's lap. Steve without realizing, began to run small circles on Tony's hand, trying to keep the man asleep long enough to catch up on at least some sleep that he had lost.

Tony had been working to find Peter non stop. There wasn't a time Peter wasn't at least in the back of his mind. Not a time Tony wasn't wondering how he could get his kid back.

No matter how many times Hydra would attempt to ruin their lives they would never get used to the feeling of having one of them taken from them.