Chapter 23- The Meeting

Waking up every couple of hours for a concussion was no problem, especially when I couldn't fall asleep in the first place. After seeing Alessio react so quickly when the man broke in, I wasn't scared that anything would happen to me. It was more about my protective streak and my past experiences. The night that everything went wrong in the warehouse, there might have been a very different outcome if I had been awake. Lily shouldn't have been on watch, it should have been me.

Alessio, on the other hand, seemed exhausted. He fell asleep resting his head on my lap and then slept through the night steadily, vaguely mumbling when I tried to wake him up every couple of hours, just in case he had a concussion as well. I had the feeling that neither of us slept particularly well, me in part because of nightmares, and for him, because of the extreme hours that he worked. In some ways, we both seemed to help each other- in sleep I seemed to instinctively feel safer with him by my side, and I got the impression that he was going to bed at a more moderated time because I was.

At some point, I knew that Alessio and I were going to have to address the fact that I wanted to go back to work, and I couldn't keep lying to Ezrah for much longer about why I hadn't seen them. I was headed back towards his office to discuss the very issue a couple days after the break in, but a voice calling me from the other end of the hallway gave me pause.

"Eliana."

I turned around, already knowing that it would be Leonardo or Angelo- the only people that called me by my first name were the two of them, Alessio, and Lucia. Leonardo was the culprit this time, hurrying to catch up to me.

"What's up?" I asked.

"A letter, addressed from Violet."

Scarlette must have managed to decode what I had written, or at least had managed to make an excuse or explanation as to why she wrote back. I excitedly ripped it out of his hand as soon as Leonardo held it out, tearing open the envelope almost in half. He leaned over my shoulder as I read it quietly under my breath.

My dearest Lily,

I was overjoyed to receive your letter, and I have missed you too. I think about you quite often, especially since we last saw each other in such a chaotic time, I suppose sudden departures always create a bit of a stir. Your new home sounds enjoyable, and I know how much your music means to you. I myself miss it greatly, I swear I heard someone listening to Salieri somewhere the other day, I know his music would take great hold in this household. I myself was always a fan, but this home is very full of Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, and Rimsey-Korsikov.

Anyways, I was also surprised that I was able to write you back, as I've been limited in my communications now. I would love to see you soon, I think attending the symphony together sometime would be fantastic. It may take some convincing on my part, but the performance of Bethoven's 3rd would be good timing from what I can tell, I assume you were referring to the performance on November 12th, at 6:00? It was the only one that I could find listed in the area. I'm sure I could work something out if it was only for a few hours!

I listened to Sviridov's rare piece concerning religion today, I even got an agreeable opinion by an acquaintance I've made here, Dmitri. Penny for your thoughts on the composition, I'm curious if it would be as popular there as it was here. As per your last letter, I hope you know that you will always have a friend in me. At the drop of a hat, I will always be ready to help you.

Apologies for the brevity of this note, but I have a lot of work to do if I am to convince my new master that I should be allowed to attend. If I manage it, I will send you another letter!