Chapter 22- Waiting for a Tsunami

Eliana:

It was days before I felt well enough to even consider going back to work, and even then I hesitated. I decided that a week was more than enough time to heal to where I needed to be, and that I would head back in two more days. The Italian-American mafia was surprisingly welcoming, and I had become more comfortable there than I predicted. After texting Ezrah that I would be back soon, and hearing about how the first round of his treatment had gone, I felt better about the whole thing. I tossed my phone onto Alessio's bed and fell back onto it limply.

"Are you alright, cara?"

Alessio's voice from the doorway made me sit up immediately. "Of course. I just miss Ezrah, for some reason I need to see it to believe how much he's improving."

"If you want to go back to work, I really think that-"

"We discussed this, Alessio. I don't think it's necessary for one of your men to accompany me at all times to work. I'll carry a gun, I'll carry a panic button if that makes you feel better, but I don't want anyone changing their plans for me right now. If the Russians come looking for me again, I'll know to be on the lookout."

"Eliana, it's not a matter of if they come looking for you, it's a matter of when. I don't want you gambling with your life like this. I already have my men checking on the shop every few hours just to make sure that the Russians aren't still scouting out the place."

It meant so much to me that Alessio cared enough to make an effort to protect me, and even the friends that I held so dear, but I was having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that I couldn't just shake off danger and paranoia like I always did. I checked the time on my phone and realized that it was well past midnight. "Let's figure this out in the morning, when we're both less tired."

He grinned ruefully and nodded, grabbing some clothes out of his dresser. He was shirtless and sweaty, I could only assume by one of the red welts on his cheek that he had been sparring with Leonardo in their basement gym. It was something I had come to realize that he did when he was stressed, but it was rare that Leonardo actually got a good hit in. Alessio's bathroom was so large that the sink wasn't even connected to the shower, so while he went to clean up I dug through the medicine cabinet until I came across a first aid kit.

I was curled up in a tight ball, reading one of my favorite books when he stepped back out, freshly showered and clean. Alessio usually slept in just a pair of shorts, but he had been trying to be a gentleman and wore a loose shirt until I laughingly told him that I didn't care and I trusted him. That was the same night that the wall of pillows disappeared, and the night I had my best sleep in years. I hadn't thought that sleeping in the same bed as someone else would dull the nightmares that haunted me or stop me from waking up in a cold sweat every couple of hours, but the proof was undeniable. It also helped that I saw Alessio put his favorite gun in the nightstand every night.

It was obvious he was exhausted and wanted to go to sleep, but I knew he would thank me for this in the long run. Alessio seemed wary as I put some of the medicine on my fingers, "Eliana, I don't need that."

"You know that's going to bruise and it'll be throbbing by morning. You can avoid the headache if you'll let me do this," I raised my eyebrows, half daring him to stop me. He still seemed hesitant, "Don't worry, I won't tell your men that the big bad mafia don used something to dull the pain."

His sarcastic smile was permission enough, and I gingerly pressed my fingers to his face as he muttered, "You would make a good doctor."

"Except the part where I can't even step foot into a hospital without panicking," I laughed. "I wish I was medically minded. I'd work on cancer research."