Chapter 31

"What is she doing here?" Sihyeon asks San before sitting down with her tray of food. San didn't say anything until everyone came. Everyone was giving San weird looks.

San clears his throat. "Guys, is it okay if Yubin hangs out with us from now onwards?"  Everyone except Sihyeon looked confused. Sihyeon kept a poker face on, but she really wanted to burn San alive. The sight of Yubin seated in your usual seat was pissing her off even more.

Yeosang raised an eyebrow. "Why? What happened to her minions?"

Yeosang didn't like Yubin at all ever since she tried to hit on him after breaking up with San. He never told San about it because of the rule San made to never mention Yubin's name in front of him again. San was so devastated after the rough break up, so Yeosang was quite shocked to see him right next to her.

"Yeah, what happened to your friends?" Mina asks.

"Um, that's personal. We aren't talking anymore." Yubin mumbles hesitantly. "And, uh, I—"

"Yubin, you don't have to explain yourself," San says, cutting her off. "Look, she's going through a lot right now, so can we all be nice and treat her like how we treat each other?"

"Sure, we all can do that," Sihyeon says with a small smile. "But can she treat your girlfriend nicely?" San slightly winces at that.

"I don't have anything against Raena," Yubin says nonchalantly. "Whatever happened... it's all in the past now."

"Yubin said she will apologize to Raena for whatever happened before," San states. "But Raena didn't come to school today, I don't know why."

"She's in Singapore right now," Chaeyoung says, quite stunned that San doesn't know.

"Oh, right," San murmurs in embarrassment.

Sihyeon had to mentally remind herself to stay calm. How could San forget that you left to Singapore last night?

"So is everyone okay with Yubin joining us from now onwards?" San asks.

"Yup," Yunho and Mingi say; the rest just nod. Yeosang and Sihyeon hated the idea, but they didn't say anything about it for now.

~

"I hope your sister isn't troubling you, Sakura," your mother says during lunch.

"Oh, no, not at all," Sakura says with a smile while drinking her soup. "It feels nice to have Raena around."

"How are your grades, Raena?" your father asks.

"I ranked second in class and fifth in standard for pre-mid-terms," you say softly.

Your father let out a disappointed sigh. "Fifth in standard? That's very bad."

You controlled the urge to roll your eyes. "I know, I'm sorry. I will work harder next time."

After lunch, you and Sakura went to the hospital to see your paternal grandmother. Sakura wasn't as close to her as you were; your family had cut all ties with Sakura's mother when she chose to marry a Japanese man instead of a Korean man. They finally chose to accept her decision thirteen years later when Sakura was nearly ten years old.

Your grandmother smiles at you and Sakura when you both enter the hospital room. Your heart broke at the sight of your grandmother lying on the hospital bed with various tubes attached to her fragile body.

"I'm so... happy... to see... you both," she says slowly. "My... beautiful granddaughters."

You take her wrinkled hand in yours and kiss the back of it, tears beginning to stream down your face.

She frowns. "Don't cry."

You sob. "I-I just can't let you go."

"Raena... I am 82 years old..." she says, a tear running down her face. "Sakura... I am sorry... that I couldn't spend much time... with you. I want both... my granddaughters... to live happily..." Your grandmother closes her eyes, immediately falling asleep. You and Sakura sit beside her in silence.

There was a knock on the door before your family doctor entered. Sakura wipes her tears. "How much longer does she have?" she asks.

He smiles sadly. "Less than a quarter of a day. Her blood vessels are extremely damaged. Your family has agreed to let her go."

"No..." Sakura whispers.

He puts a comforting hand on her shoulder. "It's for the best, and that's what she wants. She has been holding on the best she can... We have to let go."

-

End of Chapter 31.