Chapter 22

"Be calm, alright?" Hongjoong says to San after he parks his car outside on their parents' driveway.

"I'll try," San answers, getting out of the car and entering the house he used to live in.

"Oh, my sons!" Mrs. Kim squeals, hugging both San and Hongjoong. "Let's eat! I made dinner myself today."

The boys followed their mother into the luxurious house, taking a seat at the dining table across from their father.

"How have you been, Hongjoong?" Mr. Kim asks his son. "All good at college?"

"I'm fine, dad. College is pretty fun," Hongjoong replies while their mother served them some soup.

"Good to hear," Mr. Kim says, not asking San anything as usual. San didn't care anyway.

San quietly ate his food while his parents and brother conversed.

"Why are you so quiet, San?" Mrs. Kim asks.

"I don't have anything to say," he replies, eating his Gimbap.

Mr. Kim clears his throat. "Hongjoong, your mother and I have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

"The CEO of PJW Enterprises was at your father's office yesterday," Mrs. Kim says. "He has a beautiful daughter who is your age."

San knew where this was leading to and he knew it wasn't going to end well.

"Okay...?" Hongjoong says, not sure why his mother was telling him all that.

"You're going to turn twenty soon, right?" Mr. Kim asks, making Hongjoong nod. "We're struggling a little financially, so we want you to marry his daughter as soon as you turn twenty." Hongjoong drops his fork on the plate in shock before he apologizes.

Hongjoong gulps. "Dad, I... I'm sorry, but I've been in a relationship with someone for almost five years now," he confesses, earning a gasp from Mrs. Kim.

"What?!"

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you before."

"I told you not to get into any relationships! Especially at such a young age!" Mr. Kim yells, making Hongjoong flinch. "I'm so disappointed!"

"Honey, calm down," Mrs. Kim says.

He ignores her. "How dare you disobey me like that, Hongjoong?!"

"I-I'm sorry, dad."

"You will end whatever you have with that girl right now!" he yells.

That pissed San off. "Why should he, huh?"

Mr. Kim points a finger at San. "You keep your mouth shut."

"No, I will not!" San snaps. "Doesn't hyung's happiness matter? How can you force him to marry someone just because of your stupid business?"

"Sannie, calm down," Hongjoong says.

"No, hyung," San says, glaring at his step-father. "He always tries to control you and you keep listening to him!" Hongjoong just kept quiet.

"You don't know anything about business," Mr. Kim says to San. "That's why you aren't eligible to run my company."

"You don't know anything about your son's happiness," San retorts. "And I don't even want your shitty company."

"San! Don't talk to your father like that!" Mrs. Kim scolds.

San scoffs. "Keep taking his side, mother. You both only care about money. You're so selfish."

"It's with my money that you lived a comfortable life!" Mr. Kim yells.

"You treated me like shit ever since I was born," San chuckles bitterly. "Comfortable life, my ass!"

Mr. Kim slaps San. "Get out of my house!"

San leaves and Hongjoong follows him even after their father protests.

"I fucking hate him!" San says, tears threatening to spill.

"I know, Sannie," Hongjoong says with a sigh as he began to drive.

"Don't even think about breaking up with Dayeon noona," San warns. "She loves you so much and you'll never find someone like her. I swear I will never talk to you ever again if you do that."

"You know I can't go against dad, San."

"Is breaking Dayeon's heart worth it?" San asks and Hongjoong doesn't answer. "That's what I thought. Hyung, do you remember how broken she was when you both nearly broke up last year?"

"I could never forget that," Hongjoong murmurs.

"You know how badly it affected me when I went through that break up with... her. Don't make Dayeon noona go through what I did."

Hongjoong nods. "I'll... think about it."

-

End of Chapter 22.