"How's that protective-hero approach working out for you?" Bryce glanced at his screen, typed in something, then slipped the phone out of my sight.

Like that move didn't raise any warning bells. "Fine." I scoffed with feigned indifference. Only Josh knew I'd gotten nowhere with Ellie.

"She's hot..." Cole eavesdropped from his seat across from me. "Eleanor."

Given the number of curious eyes, that creep wasn't the only one interested in Ellie. Labeling her trifecta was throwing a bucket of chum to a family of sharks. "Hard to get ups her score."

I narrowed my eyes at Bryce's ridiculous claim. Harrison alone made her a challenge. My challenge. "No fucking scores."

"What?" He threw up his hands. "You're not getting anywhere. Let the rest of us have some fun."

"No." I glared daggers at the table. "That one's mine."

Josh's eyes snapped up and one corner of his mouth tugged into his cheek. Fuck, I shouldn't have said that. It's not like I meant it, but I didn't want these buffoons harassing her. Nothing more. Irritation seeped into my veins and both my chest and fists tightened. I was one comment away from doling out black eyes and broken noses. With a grunt, I shoved my tray and stood up.

Bryce pointed at my abandoned plate. "You gonna eat that?"

I frowned and shook my head. My chest heaved as I breathed against the anger twisting my stomach. These fucking idiots. When would they learn? "It's all yours." The walk to my room was shortened by my long, stomped steps. I squeezed my fists until my skin stretched tight. Inside, I flopped stomach-down on the world's squeakiest bed. My phone chimed over the bedsprings' squeals.

AlexHenderson: First book club meeting in 2 weeks. Santa Cruz Library, 2 pm, Pride and Prejudice.

"Pride and Prejudice?" That was a chick's book. And Saturday? Annoying but at the moment my single in-person connection to Ellie.

AlexHenderson: Ellie's favorite, as you know.

"Good to know." I texted his thanks with a thumbs up. "Pride and Prejudice it is."

With heavy fingers, I contacted my source for all things book-related.

Me: I need to read Pride & Prejudice for school.

She took a few minutes but responded... with her usual explosion of unnecessary emojis.

Mom: First of all, hi! I hope camp is going well. 👋😍❤️
Mom: Thanks for finally contacting me, more than a week into camp. Did you call Brody? Are you eating? And using deodorant? 🤔🤪🦨🤢
Mom: I'm bowling right now. Your Mom's on 🔥 tonight. ❤️🎳💪🏋️‍♀️

I pinched my nose and sighed.

Me: The book Mom.

Mom: Already have it on my reader. 😉👍📖 ❤️ One of my favs, I'm so impressed that you're...

I shut off my phone before she won the Guinness record for the most emojis used. The bed frame dipped and squeaked as I rolled over and leaned against the headboard. With a sigh, I stretched my legs and crossed my ankles. The ceiling's cracked paint was no help in figuring out how to best wedge me onto Ellie's radar. Too bad I didn't go to her school. Brody did though.

A heavy, long sigh left me as my shoulders relaxed and I closed my eyes. With a slow, deep breath, I threaded my hands behind my head and fanned my elbows. No girl should influence my mood this much. Ellie was only a means to Jake's end.