Chapter 8

Between Heaven and Hell

Copyright © 2012 by Carla Meyer

All Rights Reserved

CHAPTER 8

“I don’t understand Meredith, why is this happening?”

Joey had fallen to his knees as he watched his other Guardian Angel burst into flames, feeling utterly incapable of doing anything to save her. Tears were now streaming down his cheeks, and Meredith, who held Joey firmly by the shoulders, let a distinct tear roll down her cheek. She had felt a connection to the other Guardian Angel, even though she didn’t know her name, even though she couldn’t remember her. But she had felt the detachment once she vaporised into thin air, and Meredith knew that Joey felt it too.  

“It’s the Archangels Joey, they don’t want you protected,” she said as she ushered him to his feet.

He didn’t shift his gaze from the other Guardian Angel’s Wings though. He had the unexplainable desire to touch her Wings, to feel the softness, against his skin, it appeared to have. But he was afraid, not of the Wings though, but because of his death touch. He was afraid he would send the last remains of the other Guardian Angel to Hell.

“I wonder,” said Meredith as she watched Joey looking at the Wings of the other Guardian Angel, “if we could use her Wings to find mine?”

“Do you suppose it’ll work?”

“It’s worth the try,” said Meredith and moved in on the brilliant white shimmering Wings. There was a flicker of darkness that surrounded the Wings, and Joey saw it for merely a split second, but he wasn’t going to take any chances.

“Wait,” said Joey, catching Meredith by the wrist. He studied the Wings with great concentration, scanning it as to make sure that is posed as no threat. But something was bothering him at the back of his mind, something that didn’t quite fit; the darkness that surrounded the Wings.

“It’s a trap,” said Joey and at once he ran out of the little white house and into the fields. Meredith followed reluctantly, though didn’t protest until Joey came to a halt in front of the large pit where Clara had found him.

“Joey, what’s going on?” she asked, wanting nothing more than to return to the little white house. She wanted to explore the Angel’s Wings, wanted to test her theory so they could put it to task.

Joey’s eyes were wide and alert, and he could feel his palms burning up, as though he was closer to Hell than he had ever been. The burning didn’t linger in his palms though; it spread up his arms, over his chest, caressed his torso until the burning reached his mind, and involuntarily Joey collapsed and felt himself being pulled once again by the invisible force through the flames of Hell. Lucifer had something to do with the other Guardian Angel, Joey knew it.

*

“Well, good day there Joey Olsen, or is it night in your world?”