Ch. 17

Laura ran off to her room and I figured it was best not to bother her for the rest of the day. In hopes of being a good roommate and wanting to convince her I wasn't going to hurt her, I decided I would go to the beach. For a brief second I considered going to the pool, but shuddered at the thought of going back there. Beach it was. I quickly changed out of my clothes and into my swimsuit, wanting to give Laura as much space as she deemed necessary.

As I made my way I noticed a group of students playing some form of football but the ball never touched the ground, they all had silver eyes. That made sense. The campus was beautiful, the grass was almost an unnatural shade of green, with vines running up the sides of the buildings, it looked like a picture from a fantasy. I laughed to myself, of course it would. I shook my head, and made my way into the dense forest that would lead me to the ocean. I took my time, noticing the difference between this forest and others I'd seen, all of the animals looked different yet the same. I took my time, carefully observing everything around me. I could have sworn I saw a tree talking to a bird, before I could stop myself I walked over to the tree for further examination, I was unsure of why I felt the need to come over here so badly. I looked around making sure I was alone, I didn't need anyone else thinking I was crazy. I can't tell you why I did it, just that I felt like I should. I placed my palm on the bark in the middle of the large tree, it felt wonderful. I closed my eyes and concentrated on the tree. I felt its life, its growth, its connection to the earth, its magic. When I looked down at my palm I realized this time instead of blue sparks, they were green, bright green that matched the moss around the tree trunk. I sighed as I withdrew my hand, not wanting to let go of the feeling but something told me it was time to move on.

I took great comfort in the fact that I felt a connection to the magic of the forest as I made it the rest of the way to the ocean. The beach was empty, perfect. I didn't feel a flutter of hesitation as I made my way to the shore line, I needed to be in the water.

Yes

The voice spoke to me, but I wasn't afraid, it was time to find out the truth. I continued my descent into the cool water. It felt like heaven after walking in the hot Louisiana sun. I was about shoulder deep when I hesitated, should I continue? Or was this far enough?

Keep going

I kept walking, before I knew it I was underwater. I wasn't breathing but I didn't need the air. I felt a tingling sensation and I looked down at my toes they appeared to be sparkling, the same thing that happened last time I was here. Pain. I cried out and my lungs filled with water. My bones were breaking, I heard the cracking of every bone. I tried to extend my arm to reach the surface but the pain was overwhelming. I struggled against the tide that seemed to be bringing me further and further away from the shore. Away from help. I'm unsure of how long I tried to fight it, but exhaustion overtook me, and I began to sink. The sounds of my bones breaking no longer infiltrated my ears, the pain and agony had subsided, but I still ached. I felt the ocean floor when I hit, cold and comforting.

You can open your eyes now

It took me a second, but I did as I was told. The sharpness of colors was almost painful, it took me a second to adjust, but when I did the sight before me was the most glorious thing, the water clear and blue, almost like glass. The fish gave me a wide birth, but I could see them clear as day. The coral a host for sea turtles, crabs, and its own plantlife. I was in awe of my surroundings, I tried to move forward but stumbled and fell. I looked down to see four huge legs, they were teal and as big as an elephants, and I had a tail, a huge fucking tail. I tried to turn in a circle but just kicked up sand. I screamed but only a stream of what looked like blue fire came out, and it scared away all the fish. What the hell is happening?

In that moment, the voice I'd been hearing reached out and murmured

Dragon