Ch. 7

I slammed the door to our dorm shut trying to catch my breath.

"You alright girl? You look...flushed."

"I'm fine, just hungry."

Laura looked at me like she didn't believe me, but this day was weird enough already. How was I going to explain to my roommate that I was pretty sure I was seeing everyone's eyes change colors and not to mention hearing things? And the first guy that I saw here I was seconds away from climbing him like a tree and begging him to take my virginity? Jesus, I needed to get a grip. I walked into my room and sat on the bed trying to talk myself into getting dressed and going downstairs. Although... hiding out here seems like better option.

"Knock knock, let's go lady- everyone is just dying to meet you." Laura shimmed into my room, "Unless you plan on going in a towel..."

"No, no definitely not." I grabbed my nearest suitcase and started trifling through clothes, finally settling on some dark wash cut off jean shorts and an old Pink Floyd t-shirt and pairing the ensemble with my black converse that had seen better days, but I doubted anyone would notice me anyway.

I walked into the living room and Laura let out a low whistle, "Damn girl, I'm straight and all but your legs are making me rethink things." "I'm KIDDING, gosh, you're going to have to loosen up here a little if you ever want to make some friends, but you do have a smoking hot bod. Let's go get some grub." She tugged on my arm and led me out of the room. This place was certainly captivating even if it was a little off-putting at first. Chandeliers hung from the ceilings, high towers scattered throughout and winding staircases. After a few minutes I was vaguely aware she was talking to me."...and many of the juniors and seniors live off campus in apartments, provided by mommy and daddy dearest of course."

"So not everyone lives on campus?" I asked

"God no, could you imagine? There would be way too many of us running around here, it'd be a blood bath. The main building is the dorms, I'm sure "Olivia" gave you the lecture about being safe; girls on the left boys on the right..."

"Oh, yup, something I'm saving for my therapy sessions later in life."

Laura looked at me and laughed, "You know, you're kind of weird, but funny, I like that."

"Er... thank you, I think?"

"Anyway, yeah, Juniors and Seniors live off campus to avoid any accidents, but still have full access to everything else, we have a huge arena, which I guess to you would be like a football field- an enormous pool which I'm also assuming would be your favorite, and access to the ocean should you find yourself needing it"

"Wait, what did you mean by accidents? And how did you know I liked to swim?"

"Call it an educated guess, and the best part of all, the dining hall. Welcome to my favorite place."

I didn't miss the fact that she left out what she meant by "accidents" but my nose was assaulted by the most delicious smelling food and all I could think about was how hungry I was. As soon as we entered the dining hall though it appeared as though everyone stopped what they were doing to stare. I felt all the color drain from my face, unsure of what to do next.

"Oh come on, lets' get some food and sit down."

I followed her as she made her way to the line, "This looks amazing."

"Just wait until you taste it, the food here is incredible."

"My mom owns a diner, so I'm used to good food, it eases some of my home sickness being around comfort food."

"Dig in, if I had your body I'd go for seconds." She winked at me.

As we sat down, I noticed none of the conversation seemed to be returning.

"Why are they all staring? Have they never seen a new student?"

"Oh no, they have, just not in College. Say, what's your last name anyway?"

"It's Jones." As soon as I said that, she proceeded to choke on her piece of garlic toast.

"I'm sorry, Jones you said? And neither of your parents went to school here?"

"Well my mom sure didn't- she's never been to college, got pregnant with me at 18. And as far as my dad goes, I've never met him."

"Oh, thank heavens, so you have your Moms last name, phew."

"No actually, I have my dad's last name... I'm not really sure why but I'm sure mom had her reasons? I guess that's something I never really asked." Now that she put it out there, I was curious as to why mom gave me his last name, and took it herself? Probably something to do with carrying the torch for him all these years... id have to ask her. I looked up and realized that for once Laura was speechless, and looking at me strangely. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, hum... no not really. Are you done? I think we need to talk somewhere more private?"

"No not..." before I couldn't finish my sentence she was pulling on my arm and basically dragging me out of the dining hall. "Laura, what the hell? Calm down." She still wouldn't let go of my arm, and for the love of god she was strong. She ripped open our door and tossed me inside and slammed it behind her.

"Okay, this might not make sense to you, but I need you to tell me about your parents."

I looked at her like she was crazy, and was about to tell her as much but she began rambling before I had a chance.

"Please Charlee, this is important, I know you must think I'm some weird psycho roommate but your dad? His last name was Jones? You can't just go around telling people your last name is Jones, not here."

"Laura..."

"CHARLEE, Please just do as I ask." She shouted

"Jeeze okay, but after this I'm going to Olivia about a new roommate..." I looked at her sideways to see if that changed her mind about turning all crazy on me, when I realized she wasn't budging I caved.

"I could talk to you for days about my mom, but I really don't know anything about my dad."

"What do you mean you don't know anything?"

"Literally nothing, all I know is that he came through town over summer and my mom fell in love with him, that's it. Oh and that he was in love with someone else and she died, he never stuck around after he slept with my mom to find out about me. It's as simple as that."

Laura was pacing the room, "Jones is a really common name, isn't it? I'm sure it's just a mix up, I'm sure that I'm overreacting."

"It would help me if I knew what you were talking about." I rolled my eyes, could this day get any weirder? I should seriously consider transferring at the semester.

"Only one way to settle this, what was your dads' name? Do you know that?"

"Yeah, it was Terry, Terry Jones. Care to tell me what's going on now?" I looked at Laura, her tan skin was sheet white, and she was looking at me as though seeing me for the first time.

"Laura, are you okay?" I waved my hand in front of her face, I think she's in shock. "Laura? I'm going to go get help, okay? I think you're having some kind of mental breakdown." That seemed to snap her out of it. She grabbed my wrist just as I was about to walk out the door.

"No, you can't. They'll kill you." She whispered.