Ch. 5

We barely crossed the threshold of my new school before we were greeted by one of the most stunning people I think I've ever seen in my life. Long red hair fell down in the most spectacular spiral curls, perfectly winged eyeliner and red lips matched her skin tight red dress to perfection.

"Hi there, I'm Maggie Henderson the head office administrator here, it's my duty to accompany all new students around campus when they first arrive." If I didn't find her attractive before, I definitely did now, her voice sounded like whiskey, smooth and sweet with a bite at the end. I snuck a peak over at mom and could tell she was just as awestruck as I was.

She cleared her throat and looked at me, "And you must be..." my cheeks burned with embarrassment, I realized I had been staring and had yet to utter a single word, luckily for me mom found her wording first.

"So sorry, we've had a long drive and the campus is just leaving us breathless... this is my Daughter Charlee, and I'm Cheryl, Charlee and Cheryl Jones that is." Before my mother could even finish extending her hand for a shake Mrs Henderson eyes snapped away from hers and bore into mine, "So, you're Charlee Jones, the new scholarship student." In that moment I could have sworn I saw her eyes flash from brown to red. Impossible, I shook my head and extended my hand instead.

"Yes, that's right, it's very nice to meet you, and sorry this is all just a little bit overwhelming."

"I would suppose it would be." Her voice was clipped, no longer reminding me of a sweet whiskey, but a bitter tequila. She grabbed my hand then, and holy shit this woman was strong. Before this situation could be any more awkward I noticed an equally if not more attractive person coming down the hall to my left.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't here to great you properly, my name is Mrs. Lafoex, Headmistress here."

"Surely you don't have time to meet everyone new here?" my mother asked

"We are a small school, we take great interest in our new students, especially our scholarship students. We do our best to make everyone feel at home the second they walked through the door."

"Well, isn't that...nice." She nudged me in the side, and I realized that I once again had been staring. Is everyone here this attractive? Where Ms. Henderson was a redhead, Mrs. Lafoex had hair black as night it almost looked blue, with ridiculously blue eyes, they almost looked violet if you stared long enough... which I realized I was doing.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Charlee Jones." I muttered still a little awestruck

"Well of course you are, you are the only new freshmen this year. Ms. Henderson maybe you should go check on some of our other students make sure they are finding their new room assignments." With a look that could kill and a curt nod, Ms. Henderson started off down the hall.

"I'm sorry, what?" "The only new freshman, how is that possible?" I squeaked

"We have a High School just down the ways, very rarely do we get students at the college who haven't been enrolled at our High School, in fact, you are the first one Ms. Jones."

"How is that possible?" My mother said thankfully because I'm not sure I could get a sentence out. Not only was I hundreds of miles away from the only life I've ever known but now everyone would have been at school together for years and I'd be the outsider. Great, Tay was right- I should have just gone to New York with her.

"We have a few very important students here whose parents would rather there location not be known to the general public. But we offer the absolute best education, Charlee would not have been invited to attend school here if there were any other place better suited for her to study. Alas there is not, shall we get a move on? I would suspect you would like to see your dorm and meet your roommate, perhaps if we go quickly enough there will be enough time for you to grab some dinner before the hall closes. Ms. Jones..."