Ch. 13

"Laura, you'll never guess what..."

"CHARLEE, so glad you're back, we have a visitor."

"Sebastian I swear..."

"Sebastian?" "I would hope you aren't talking about Sebastian Lane." The voice cut like glass. I looked over and saw Ms. Henderson sitting at our kitchen table.

I looked over at Laura and she gave me a shut the fuck up if you want to live look.

"Oh, uh, Hi Ms. Henderson. Nice to see you again."

"I highly doubt that dear."

"Now, Laura here as told me that she accidentally told you of your background and what this school really is. Thankfully I am relived, we can't ask our students not to practice magic just because of you. That wouldn't be fair now would it?"

"No ma'am. It wouldn't be."

"Excellent now that's settled, the headmistress asked me to stop by and drop off a schedule for you for some extra practice before start of term." She reached over to hand me the paper. "Laura said you have your mother's maiden name, is that correct Ms. Jones?"

"Yes, I never knew my father."

"You wouldn't lie to me girls, would you? Not with such a.... delicate matter."

"No of course not." I said, and looked at Laura who looked as though she were about to faint.

Ms. Henderson stood, and with a backwards glace she spoke again. "You'd be wise to remember that Sebastian is spoken for, and utterly off limits. Especially to a water affinity." She snarled in disgust as her eyes flared red, shutting the door behind her on the way out.

"What a bitch." "Are you okay, Laura?" I peered over to where she was standing on the other side of the room.

"Yeah, there's just something about her that's not right." She shook it off and walked towards me. She grabbed the piece of paper I forgot I was holding, and laughed, "You're in for a treat."

"What do you mean?" I said.

"Look for yourself."

Charlee Jones,

It has come to my attention that Laura has told you the truth, despite my specific instructions not too. Never the less, now that you know, we have no choice but to get you up to speed to start with your class at the beginning of term. Listed Below are one and one workshops you are required to attend, specifically with older students who have agreed to help you. In each of these studies you will learn about each affinity and its history. Your studies will begin at 9:30 each day and last for several hours. After lunch at 1:30 sharp you are to meet with either Ms. Henderson or myself to learn our history and defense class. These classes will continue until I say otherwise, failure to participate means immediate removal from Blackbird Academy.

Mondays

Time- 9:30 AM

Student Teacher: Parker Martin

Affinity: Water

Location: Pool

Tuesdays

Time- 9:30 AM

Student Teacher: Sebastian Lane

Affinity: Fire

Location: Arena

Wednesdays

Time- 9:30 am

Student Teacher: Suzy Walter

Affinity: Air

Location: Library

Thursdays

Time- 9:30 am

Teacher: Nora Jacobs

Affinity: Earth

Location: The Forest Gardens

"This has to be a joke right? Why can't you teach me?"

"I wouldn't even know where to begin, I'm only a freshmen, and the rest are juniors and seniors." "On the bright side though, you still have tomorrow to prepare yourself for this."

"I thought college was supposed to be fun." I groaned and fell back onto the sofa, "I thought I was going to get a summer of drinking and boys and be able to let loose, when did life get complicated?"

"Oh, about a day ago when you found out you were a witch." "Hey, what did you want to tell me earlier?"

I sat up and unloaded everything that happened from the moment I stepped foot on the beach to the second Sebastian pulled me into the storage closet, I could have sworn I still felt heat from where his lips kissed the back of my neck. Without thinking I ran my hand over the spot, it was tender, it almost felt as if there were a scar. I rushed to the bathroom and pulled my hair to the side, Laura hot on my tail.

"Charlee, what's going on?"

I moved my hair out of the way and caught a glimpse of what was now on my neck. It almost looked like a tattoo of flames?

"Woah, I didn't know you had a tattoo, that's awesome. What color is the ink? I looks almost silver."

I swatted her hand away to get a better look at it, she was right, it looked like flames, but maybe waves? The lines were white but it looked as though silver was pulsing through it.

"I don't have a tattoo." I whispered

"What?"

"I don't have a tattoo." I stared at Laura and then back at my neck, "What the fuck is that?"

Her mouth stood agape, "I don't know."