Ch. 4

The next few days passed in a daze, I was trying to process the information my mother had given me, and she was trying to hover as much as she could while running the diner. I wish I could tell her that I was okay and nothing she told me was affecting me, but now more than ever I had a million questions, if he knew about me, did he really not care enough about my mother to even meet me? Did he just not care? What about his family, did they know? So many questions, and no one could give me the answers I wanted. Every single google search I had done over the last few days turned up empty not even an obituary, I was stuck, it seemed like this was all the information I was ever going to get. I sighed in frustration and looked over at my clock- it was 11:48 pm, in just twelve minutes I would be 18. Tomorrow night I would be at Tays house while the majority of our graduating class got drunk and got ready to kick off their last summers before all going off to college. And in a week, I would be on my way to Blackbird academy in Louisiana. I should be excited for this chapter in my life, but I couldn't shake the feeling that nothing was ever going to be the same again.

              I woke up the next morning and groaned as I turned over, every single fiber of my body felt like it got hit by a bus.

"Good morning my amazing 18 year old!" My mom shouted as she came into my room holding a plate of chocolate chip pancakes and bacon- my favorite.

"Morning mom." I mumbled while reaching for the plate, I winced as my muscles felt like they were on fire.

"Are you okay sweetie? You don't look so good..." She said while reaching over to feel my forehead. "You're burning up, let me go grab the thermometer."

I looked down at my plate and usually my favorite food would make my mouth water, but my stomach churned, I tossed the plate as I ran for the bathroom.

"Charlee, are you okay? I'm really worried." My mother's voice infiltrated my tiny bathroom, "Can I come in?"

I was looking at the remnants of last night's dinner in the toilet, "You better not mom, and it's not pretty. I'm sure I just ate something that didn't agree with my stomach." I hear her outside the bathroom pacing. "Mom, really I'll be fine after a few more hours of sleep."

"Charlee... you aren't pregnant are you?"

I snorted, I hadn't even been kissed yet, let alone lost my virginity.

"Mom, I can promise you, there is absolutely no way that I am pregnant."

She sucked in a loud breath, "Okay sweetie, I'm going to make some chicken soup for you and leave it in the fridge. I have to go to the diner today unfortunately, Sandy called out sick- again."

"Its fine mom, I'm not going to be any fun anyway."

Sometime later I was finally able to drag myself over to my bed and fall into a restless sleep, I dreamt of myself standing in what appeared to be a huge foyer, those that are in some kind of castle. It was cold, the kind of cold that seeped into your bones, not even the huge fire in the middle of the room could bring any comfort. As I looked around the room, I noticed there was red paint that appeared to be coming from the ceiling... as I reached out to touch it as it was dripping down the walls I realized it wasn't paint, but blood.

I woke up mid scream to my phone going off, I grabbed it off my bed stand, "TAY" flashed across the screen, crap.

"Hey tay, what's up?"

"What do you mean what's up?" "It's almost 5 PM and I haven't heard from you all day, hello? It's your birthday party tonight!"

"Don't be mad, but I can't make it, I've come down with the flu or something."