Chapter 19

Sunday, December 17, 1995

~DeVante~

"Bae, why you not eating?" I said as I bit into my hot wings from the food court.

Brandy and I was sitting inside the food court in the mall away from everybody else. I needed my girl to myself.

"I'm not feeling good. I think it's the Chinese food my mom ordered last night." Brandy said pushing her food away.

"Your stomach hurt?"

"I just feel nauseous. I couldn't even eat my cereal this morning."

"Didn't I tell you to stop eating at every restaurant? You don't know what folks cook in. You so stupid."

"It ain't my—"

"Brandy, please shut up. If you keep on irritating me, I'mma give you something to cry about. Now eat."

"I don—"

I shoved the burger in her mouth.

"Chew."

"N—"

"Girl, chew the d**n food before I smack you in front of everybody." I said as I grabbed her arm.

Brandy hurried and ate the food.

"Don't tell me you hungry and then start getting sick. Wasting my money. I should beat yo a** again. Don't think that I ain't still mad about you wearing that lil tight a** crop top." I said sucking my teeth.

Before I can say anything else, I seen a girl that looks like Mya running towards us.

"B, I didn't know you was gonna be here!" Mya said as she completely ignored me.

"My girl eating. Why don't you leave her alone."

"I think I was talking to my best friend. I got nothing to say to yo dumba**."

"B—"

"Brandy, what's wrong?"

Brandy held her mouth.

"Speak the hell up, girl." I said as I got up.

Brandy tried to find the nearest bathroom, but I blocked her.

"Move! Don't you see she gotta go!" Mya said pushing me.

"B**h, move!" I said blocking Mya from Brandy.

All of a sudden, I seen vomit drop from Brandy's hand.

"See that's what yo a** get. Ask me next time before you go somewhere. Get cleaned up." I said shoving her as I checked myself to make sure vomit didn't get on my fresh clothes.

Mya rolled her eyes as she caught up with Brandy.

I'm really trying to be a new person for my girlfriend, but she does stupid things to tick me off.

I looked around and some people were staring at me.

"Boo! I treat my lady how I was taught, so boo back to y'all a**es." I said as I rolled my eyes.

People look and are too quick to judge me.

I mean, if your woman was acting up, wouldn't you get her back in check? That's how I seen my daddy do it. Twice.

My mama ain't never left his side. Even after he left us in the cold and didn't come back until he was dying.

"At least Monica a** know how to treat me." I said as I continued to eat my food.