Chapter 13

~Brandy~

I turned around to my mother.

"Marrying your abuser."

I can't believe my mother just said that. I thought my ears or mind were playing tricks on me.

"Mom, are you trying to—"

"Baby girl, I just see myself in you. If DeVante is putting his hands on you, you can end this relationship now."

"Mama, I'm not breaking up with him. This is the only time he's hit me." I said as I played with my fingers. I wasn't telling her that he hit me at the Halloween party.

"No it's—"

"Shut up! I'm not taking your advise. You married your abuser, remember?" I said cutting her off as I grabbed my book bag and ran upstairs.

I threw my book bag as I walked quickly to my bathroom.

"How is she gonna tell me to leave him? She can't even leave herself." I said as I stared at my face in the mirror.

I quickly pulled my makeup out as I tried to cover the black eye.

"Ouch." I said as I winced in pain and I tried to cover my bruise with my foundation.

I kept trying to cake foundation around my eye, but it wouldn't work.

"Sh*t!" I said as I threw my makeup in the sink.

I got frustrated and ran to my computer. I knew one person who I could talk to. I turned on my computer and entered into the chat room online.

To my surprise, Lia was online.

@sheisbrandy: Hey Lia...

I seen that she was typing. I was surprised to see her respond to me so quickly.

@yogurlliaaaa: You sure you didn't mean Mya or that lame nigga DeVante?

I sighed. I've been busy with my new life in Atlanta that I forgot about my true best friend in California.

@sheisbrandy: Pls call me.

@yogurlliaaaa: I don't know if I want to. Let me fit you into my schedule and I'll let you know.

I noticed Lia instantly logged off.

"Lia, no. I'm sorry. I'm such a bad friend. I can't win for nothing!" I said as I shoved my keyboard to the side.

About five seconds later, I heard my telephone ring off the hook.

"I don't feel like talking, but I want to talk to someone." I said as I wiped my nose and slowly walked to the phone.

"Hello?" I answered as I sat on my bed.

"Hello, stranger. Remember me? Lia. Your best friend that you left high and dry when you made new friends." Lia said in an irritated voice.

"LIA!" I said in a excited but sad voice.

"B, what's wrong? You been crying?"

"No." I said sniffing hoping she wouldn't ask me.

"You're lying. I know you been into it with someone. I can tell by your voice. I'm not dumb."

"You wouldn't understand. It's just relationship problems."

"With DeVante? Didn't y'all just start dating?"