Chapter 23

Wednesday, January, 10, 1996

~Sheila~

"I have told Jack to keep this room neat. I see nothing but dust." I said as I dusted Jack's dresser.

I was doing my daily cleaning routine as I was home alone while the kids were at school.

It seems like nobody stays at home that much since the new year has started.

"Sheila!"

I jumped at the sound of Brent's voice. I told that man to stop scaring me when he comes into the house.

"I'm upstairs cleaning!"

"You need to get down here right now!"

"What could he be complaining about now?" I said as I sighed to myself as I went downstairs.

Brent and I have been married since we were about in our early twenties. It's been a difficult road, but I'm still hanging in there. If it weren't for my two beautiful kids, I don't know where I'll be.

"When were you going to tell me?" Brent asked as he rubbed his face.

Brent was facing me as he sat in the oakwood dining room chairs.

"Tell you what?"

"Don't play with me, Sheila, ok? This sh*t is serious." Brent said as he started tapping his foot.

"I'm not joking, Brent. What is it?"

"What the hell are you doing with this?" Brent asked as he slid a pregnancy test box on the table.

"Huh?" I asked confused.

I knew it wasn't mine since I had a hysterectomy a little bit after Brandy due to personal reasons.

"Are you pregnant?"

Did this fool not remember that I can't have anymore kids.

"No, Brent. Why would you think that?"

"Well, Jack can't get pregnant because he's a d**n boy, and we both know Brandy looks like a freak in the ci—"

"Brent, why don't you treat Brandy with respect? Huh? That's your daughter for goodness sake!"

"Is she really my daughter? Huh?"

"Look, you will not blame this on me again. I said I was so—"

"She's a d**n mistake!"

I slapped Brent across the face.

"My children are the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm tired of you treating her like she's garbage when she's not. You're the reason she tried to hurt herself last year. You're the reason she's with that DeVante boy."

"Sheila, let's not forgot that I caught you in bed with my brother. It's crazy that you got pregnant with Brandy shortly after."

"Brent, we've taken multiple DNA test! She's your child. She favors you a little. I'm not going to keep talking about this. I don't want her to hear us if she walks in." I said as I started to walk away, but Brent grabbed me.

"I know she's mine, but I never wanted her. You trapped me."

"No, you trapped me. You don't remember? Huh? Let's not forget the permanent bruise on my back when you burnt me." I said trying not to cry.

"Look, I was angry. You already got abortions on the babies that I did want with you."

"Are you—There you go listening to your stupid sister again! You know what happened."