If I Touch You

We don't remember where we came from or who our parents are.

We don't know why we are different.

We've been told that we were made to be better human beings.

So why aren't we allowed to touch anything?

The government believed they'd found a way to genetically modify humans. Make them better adaptable to environments of extreme cold or heat, be able to live longer without food and water, to be harder to wipe out via disease or weapons.

Four girls were selected to be the tests for this modification. Infants given up by unfit mothers or orphans through accidents. Children that no one would miss if the tests went wrong.

Harlow was supposed to be resistant to heat

Levane was supposed to be resistant to lack of nutrients

Catrina was supposed to be resistant to cold.

Diane was supposed to be resistant to death.

These experiments went wrong in ways unimaginable. The girls could not be returned due to side effects and so are kept at the lab for future study. Perhaps they could fix what they had made.

We can only hold each other, it doesn't hurt.

We are told some day we can be normal, like them.

We are promised the pain will end soon.

We didn't ask to be like this.

~~~~~~~~

"If I touch you, you will burn

"If I touch you, you will burn."
~Harlow

"If I touch you, you will be shocked."
~Levane

"If I touch you, you will freeze

"If I touch you, you will freeze."
~Catrina

"If I touch you, you will die

"If I touch you, you will die."
~Diane

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each of the girls serums did as they were supposed to. Each girl was unable to be effected by the conditions they were made to be resistant to. Unfortunately, the side effects were linked to those as well.

Though the girls do not have control over elements or anything like that, the touch of any one of them is life threatening.

To touch them, or to have them touch you, would activate the side effect. Harlow would cause a flame on your skin.
Levane would electrocute you.
Catrina would freeze you.
Diane would cause you to wither and die.

For the saftey of everyone the girls are kept in a lab. Each has their own room which connects to a main recreational room where they are allowed to see each other. This is also where they are allowed to eat.

The scientists try to fix their mistakes but so far have not been successful. those wearing special suits are able to come in contact with the girls.

It is not only humans but all living things that are effected by their touch. Animals and plants are not safe from them. Most inanimate objects are effected as well. Fortunately that does mean none can be effected by bacteria or viruses either, they do not get sick.

Each can touch each other without consequences for reasons known and so the girls have learned to get along. In their dull existence, they'll take anything they can.

22 years we have spent here.

22 years we have had only each other.

22 years we have known nothing but this place.

22 years we have grown hopeless.

How do you come into play here? That's for you to decide.
Are you working on their cure?
Are you trying to find a way they can stop themselves from hurting others?
Are you a caretaker who brings them food?
Are you a stranger that wants to break them free?
Or are you something unique?

(These powers effect everyone. It doesn't matter your species or magic powers, you are effected by their touch)