Back to normal

Laura pov

Groaning like someone stole my favourite toy I turn over feeling the sun shine directly into my eyes as I move, I know I should have double checked to made sure the blinds was shut but fuck when I walked though the bedroom doors it wasn't my first though, the bed was. Moaning once again I open my eyes to look at the time, its only noon, I don't normally sleep in this late but considering the time I walked though the doors, I will make an exception for this time. Sitting up I rub an hand over my face before heading for the showers, I already have plans for today and now I'm wishing I didn't, why cant I just relax one time. 

I am home for two weeks which I am happy for but I am volunteered to work at the hospital where I have worked from time to time, they are always short staff and considering I am qualified nurse I can work part time when they need it which is most days. The hospital staff love me and are always happy when I return as I am that type of nurse who takes no shit, they love it. Throwing on a pair of black skinny jeans and a clean white top I make my way downstairs grabbing my mother's sandwich first that she just made with a smile, I am starved. 

"I'll be back in a hour, love you" I say before she has time to open her mouth about the sandwich, dads on the sofa laughing at me, he knew that was coming but didn't say anything. Even though I do have an apartment I like to spent the most of my free time at my parents as it's free cooked food, even Aaron stays most of the time with Ryan taking the spare room, he's like another son to my parents and another brother to me. 

Running out the door I climb in my jeep and take a slow drive to the hospital looking forward to working with the nurses at the hospital I have really missed treating silly injuries like a cold or broken bones, it's easier then a gunshot wound or the sound of gun fire. Seeing gunshot wounds in the army was a regular for me as I was always treating them when we was caught in a ambush or something but coming home and volunteering for the hospital I get to practice more usual patients who come in for a little of everything like colds and broken bones. 

Throwing my jeep into park I head to the Human Resources ready to sign back to work as it feels like forever since I have come back but lucky me I know the manager, she loves me like the rest of the nurses and doctor, sometimes it's like I never left but I do feel bad for coming and going but that's my job pretty much. All the staff that work at this hospital understand that I am sometimes coming and going, they hate it but they understand it. Climbing the stairs to get to the Human Resources office apart of me wished I took the lifts but I have to keep fit some how as I know I wont be hitting the gym in a while if it was up to me, once I make it too the floor I knock on the door and wait for a 'come on in', before storming In with a smile, as i wait for a couple of second I hear a faint voice that I have missed, she definitely makes me day. 

"Guess who's back June" I say with a smile, she jumps out her seat and runs to my arms, she's a couple of years older than me but she's like a big sister slash auntie to me but if anyone asked her she tell everyone that she taught me all I know. Always has my back when I come back to help, when I do come back she always try's to get me to stay but I can't unfortunately however I have thought about leaving a couple of times when times get rough but I'm not ready to leave. The services has made me into the women I am today and I don't know who or where I would be without them. 

"Oh god Laura, look at you so tanned. How long we got you for" I hear her say still hugging me, she's clearly missed my lazy arse, I laugh with her before she let's go, She has her tight little arms wrapped around me afraid to let me go as she knows once she blinks I could be gone. 

"I have been given two weeks from yesterday" I answer one of the question she fired at me when hugging, which earns a smile as she passes me a couple of forms to fill like this isn't the first time we have been though this. Reading over each forms before signing June talks about what's new with the hospital and to my knowledge nothing has really changed which I'm thankful because it took me a while just to learn it when I first came. Finishing up the paper June hands me the uniform which I have always hated, how can someone even move in the tight pants they give it's ridiculous, I must of ripped at least five pairs the last time I was here and the last time I did, it was in front of my patient, the good times. 

"You start tomorrow, don't be late. When you come head to minors and help them, I have already spoke to them" I hear her say and of course she has to tell me not to be late, me late never, I roll my eyes and leave laughing. I look forward to working with the crazy bunch again. Walking back to my jeep I throw the uniform in the back before heading to the cafe round the corner picking some food for Aaron and Ryan at the garage.

Driving up to the garage I grab the food from the passenger seat and head to the back room placing it on the counter ready for everyone, I have bought enough for all the worker as I know how much they all love food. Food is a way of life. While I am in the back room I grab a bottle of water out there fridge before I make my way to Aaron who's on the floor once again looking under the car, I walk over and kick his leg letting his know I'm here, he gives me a grunt first before speaking, I love annoying the brother. 

"Come on Laura, a simple hello would have been nicer" I hear him say before laughing under the car, I roll my eyes at the comment waiting for him to finish the job he was doing. As a child myself, Aaron and Ryan would spend most of our childhood here as Ryan dad owns it, we loved helping him but my passion was helping people so I joined the army without looking back, I was first a medic when I enlisted and then I had a killer sniper shot which has improved over the years, I have helped out when other people need a sniper but I'm the medic for our platoon team. However thanks to my brother and Ryan I have also learnt quite a lot from helping them with cars. I take any opportunity to learn something new, if I don't know what someone is doing I would jump to learn as I am never too old to learn something new. I am too inpatient for someone else to do things for me. 

"Laura hand me another flash light" I hear Aaron say holding his hand out like a child he always is, I pick up the flash light next to the tools and give it him before jumping on Ryan back. I love annoying the both of them, i treat them the same as I don't want to play favourites even though Aaron my blood, Ryan has been in my life since i was born and I wouldn't have had it any other way, he doesn't treat me like Aarons annoying young sister but instead of a sister he loves. 

"The start of two weeks, you ready to see my face for that long" I joke punching Ryan shoulder lightly earning a light hearted laugh from him, he doesn't really speak much but i know they are both happy to see me and my face even though they be begging me to go. 

"Two weeks of you, I'll be packing your bags by the end of the week" he returns the joke laughing but I roll my eyes as he's got quicker with those comebacks, I have missed the bond between the three of us. We used to do everything together the three of us but as we grew older and I joined the army it isn't easy for us all to get together as when I get leave I am never hear long enough to do something. 

Spending the rest of the day at the garage I managed to help both Aaron and Ryan with the cars but it was mainly me annoying both of them that they threw their food at me which I did in fact eat it after they thrown it, that will teach them not to throw food my way. I knew they missed me really. After helping the boys I headed straight home to collapse on the sofa, it's been a long day, I almost forgotten how it feels to be back home but I'm enjoying it a lot. Lying on the sofa dad comes up pushing my feet off so he can take a seat but instead I put my feet on his lap, he's missed me really even though I have taken up most of the sofa room. 

"Don't you have your own apartment" dad jokes as I have the remote in my hand but I know he's only joking as soon as it's time for me to be deployed again I see the look in his eyes pleading with me not to go but it's the life I have chosen for myself and I love it even the sound of gun fire I have learned to like, I would jump every time I heard gun fire but now Its like I don't more, it doesn't affect me no more. 

"I don't have someone to cook me food there or to wash my clothes like you do" I let out a reply only to get a funny look from my mother but she loves me as much as she loves seeing me. Once the program finished that I was watching I hand the remote to my father and close my eyes trying to relax a little. I can already tell dad much happier now he has a remote in his hands. I put my hands over my eyes and start to relax.