Chapter 10: Vitriolic (Day 3) Edited

Start from the beginning

"Anyway, I figured out why that clock downstairs ticks so loud," Jeff stated. "That thing was driving me insane."

You just couldn't shake the feeling...

"Why?"

"It had something wrong with the internal-"

"No," you sighed. "I mean about why you don't like it."

"Well," Jeff started, "it reminded me of something appalling."

Deadlines are pretty gruesome. No one had ever heard of something more off-setting than a clock reminding you of an approaching date. But it still made you wonder why Jeff was so affected. He was always so strange. And maybe that wasn't a good "first impression" in any way, but maybe the situation was getting to his head. Could you have been the cause of the impromptu personality change? Still, this guy was so caring for you.

He took your hand. "I'm sure you think I'm pretty appalling."

"Not at all," you whispered as you slipped out of your dreamland.

The room was a bit dimmer than you remembered.

"Are we a tragedy?" you asked to the open. "Why do I keep hearing that word in my head?"

Jeff set the cup down on the nightstand as it wobbled in an endless circle. "Hey, why do you always do that? Why do you keep out that same cup to use later?"

You didn't want to waste them. Getting a new glass every time you felt parched would clog the dishwasher. Was there something wrong with that? It was as if you were on trial, maybe. You were always on trial with him. And you were supposed to be the one asking questions, for God's sake. You knew nothing. But somehow you knew why you clutched onto feelings for a long time before letting them go.

"I haven't seen you eat at all," you said to him.

He chuckled. "Is there something wrong with that?"

That was too similar. It was the same reasoning. But how would he even have known? It's not like he could climb into your mind and extract every blessing you say to yourself, right? Again with the paranormal stuff... And you never believed in anything other than willpower.

"We have to get up early, so we should probably get to sleep. It's already pretty late," Jeff said.

"Yeah," you agreed.

The night passed slower than an eternity due to the clock downstairs ticking obnoxiously again. It started to get on your nerves too. You had been asleep with full consciousness for over four hours already, and the rain and wind playing with the trees outside made it completely nonviable to rest. After a day filled with surprises, you loathed the thought of acting as a detective and trying to figure out how to stop the constant echo from reaching your room, but you knew it must be done.

You slipped out of your covers and kept the light off so that you wouldn't disturb the rest of the house. But as you tip-toed towards the door, you realized that the hallway light was on. And that was when you heard the faint conversation that was just beyond the wall. It was hard to hear, so you perched your head against the door and silenced your breathing.

"She's in that room."

Was that Jeff? It sure did sound like him. Then another person began to speak. This one sounded like a girl.

"You've already done enough. You should just let me handle it."

"Jane," Jeff said.

Who the hell was Jane? And what were they talking about? Were they talking about you? Wait... Why did Jeff let someone else in your house?! Well, you already allowed one "stranger" to stay, but this girl didn't seem friendly. Who were you supposed to trust if the one person you woke up staring at had already broken a bond smaller than fate?

"I swear to God, I'll murder you if you don't get the fuck out of this house," Jeff stated, forcefully pushing the girl back. Or, that's what it sounded like.

"She will find out," Jane said a little louder.

Then there was silence. You tried to lean onto the door only to have it open in your face. You fell backwards and yelped as your butt hit the hard floor beneath you. Jeff stood in the doorway in front of the light, so you only saw the shadow of his crazed expression on the wall. He then asked about exactly how much you heard of his heartfelt conversation.

You stared up at him, a shocked look on your face. "I- I didn't hear anything- I swear!" you cried. You were frightened at that moment. Something wasn't right. You were scooting backwards, trying to get up and away from him.

"I know you heard it all," he said as he began to pull something out of the pocket of his hoodie. After studying its silhouette, you screamed.

He clamped his hand over your mouth.

"Don't worry. It's just medicine," he muttered.

He stuck a needle in your arm.