"Well, we were till I found Oreos hidden behind her spices." Trying to hold in a laugh I couldn't even though he'd seemed truly hurt.

"Do you want your usual?"

"Let's go for a plain bagel. You have that don't you?"

"Yes, we do." Grabbing a napkin from the top of the display I went to our section of bagels and picked out the plain. When I first made the menu for Elle's I had left out bagels for no particular reason other than wanting to stick to sweets but after being repeatedly asked if we had them I decided it would be best to just add them.

The bell above the door chimed grabbing my attention and compelling me to look up. Elijah stood in his police uniform that had somehow fit him perfectly, almost as if he had it tailored. Since his body was broad the slim door made him seem bigger than he was. I watched his eyes roam the bakery and assumed he was looking for me.

Clearing his throat I realized I was keeping Mr. Sullivan waiting. Handing him his bagel he had already set the money down on the counter.

"You are a godsend."

I may have tuned out Mr. Sullivan the moment my eyes met Elijah's. He smiled which was rare but like last night when it happened, it leaves a print in your memory.

"Have a good day, Evangeline."

"You too."

"Do you want your usual?" Elijah has always bought a single blueberry muffin so by now I felt asking him was completely unnecessary but I did anyway. He shook his head, yes and pulled out cash from his wallet that he had shoved in his pants pocket.

"No need."

"Evangeline." He said sternly.

"Fine." We had an argument every time he had come in. When I first moved in and we began our occasional talks I told him I had a bakery and since then he'd come in at least once a week.

"I wanted to know if you liked Chinese food?" Grabbing the muffin from my hand he set the his money in the other.

"Yes, why."

"I wanted to thank you for looking after Harvey and thought I'd bring you dinner tonight."

"I haven't even started watching him yet. I could be completely terrible at it and you'd have to find another sitter."

"Still. Would you mind if I came over later?"

"Not at all."

"I have to go but I'm sorry about this morning. I didn't know you'd still be asleep."

"It's okay. I only had a couple more minutes before my alarm went off anyways." I lied. I still had a whole hour.

Elijah had decided to drop off his keys early this morning before he went to work. To my luck, I was still in my purple fuzzy socks and oversized shirt. I was barely able to open my eyes let alone care who was on the other side of the door. I can barely remember our short-lived conversation. I do remember him, however, giving me instructions about food and waking Harvey but really only bits and pieces.

"I'll see you around eight? If that's alright?"

"Perfect."

As soon as he left the bakery I could see Rosa pop her head out from the kitchen before walking to stand beside me.

"Your job is to help me bake not to put inside commentary on my life."

"I didn't say anything."

"You were going too. You make a comment every time he comes in."