Chapter Three

EVANGELINE

Scrounging for change at the bottom of her bag the lady on the opposite side of the counter let out a mumbled apology. Her cheeks flamed out of embarrassment but I assured her it wouldn't be a problem since she was only missing a quarter off of her coffee but she seemed to be determined to find it.

She wore a suit and though her complete attire seemed costly up close you can notice the worn fabric from the ends of her sleeves and lining of the blazer. Her hair though attempted to be put in a professionally styled bun was a tad messy. A hard-working woman, I suppose.

Standing little ways away in front of the pastry display who I assumed to be her daughter looked into it in awe. Her eyes widened to the full extent and her mouth parted just a tad. Her gaze, however, seemed to be specifically on the red velvet cupcakes I had just put out. Giving my best guess she couldn't have been older than five.

Feeling in the giving mood, I unfolded a small white cardboard box just big enough for the cupcake to fit in and attempted to set it inside without letting the frosting touch my fingertips.

Catching the girls imploring eyes I nodded in the direction of the cash register so that I could hand it to her. Standing on my tippy toes I stretched over the counter and the little girl takes it between her dainty hands. She shyly attempts to hide behind her mother and with her now rosie cheeks it reminded me of the women.

Once again looking up from her purse she gives me a tender smile, "Are you sure?"

"Of course and don't worry about the quarter either," I ensured her.

"I'm sorry I usually have change. I have a habit of just throwing it in here."

"Seriously it's okay. Your missing a quarter off your coffee it won't put me out of business." I tried to joke aiming to ease her mind.

She turned to her daughter, "What do you say?"

"Thank you." She spoke still remaining behind her mother.

Effortlessly picking up the girl I watched as they left the bakery and out onto the sidewalk. Nearly out of view I noticed the women had stopped and turned around. Walking back into the bakery she pulled out a quarter from her pocket. "I put the change in my blazer pocket so that I could remember." She laughed nervously.

Waving me goodbye she veered back towards the door. With her back facing me, I could see her daughter wave back at me. A large smile rather than her shy grin.

"You say you don't want kids but you are so good with them." Facing Rosa she was drying her hands with a towel and grinning at me knowingly.

"I never said I didn't want kids, just not now."

I heard Rosa hum before heading back to the kitchen.

Overall, it had been a slow morning carrying small waves of people inside. I had time to write out on a little chalkboard our prices of coffee and hot chocolate which I intended to layout in front of the bakery. All the while Rosa sat scrolling through her phone that her son had given to her so she was able to contact them. It was clear that it had now become somewhat of an addiction.

Around midday, things had begun to pick up. Most people were on break and since we were surrounded by businesses it was most of the same people who stopped by and most of them I had gotten to know by name.

"What's something with the least amount of calories?"

"Water, Mr. Sullivan. It's a bakery and nearly everything has some amount of calories in it. I thought you told me you and your wife were trying to go on a diet."