Prologue

Cassiopeia

Mollie Hill would always remember the day Cassiopeia showed up at the door of the orphanage. It was a cold winter's night, the wind howling so harshly she didn't hear the doorbell ring. Or maybe the person didn't ring the doorbell at all. Through the wind, Mollie just barely heard the sound of a baby's cries, so soft anyone else could've easily missed it. Mollie's ears were trained to pick out the sound of a baby's cries, however. Being the matron at the orphanage meant that she had encountered too many children left at the doorstep. But this one was different. As she opened the door, Mollie glanced down to find a beautiful raven haired girl with the most shocking blue eyes. Her eyes were bluer than blue, they were nearly silver. They glistened with unshed tears. Her lips were a rosy red, and she had skin even paler than her eyes were. Wrapped around the baby was a soft, pink blanket. Clutched in her hands was a big envelope sealed with green wax. 

"Oh, darling. Let's bring you inside," the matron cooed. The baby looked up at her, perhaps shocked at being held after so long in the cold. After placing the baby in an empty cot, the fur blanket on top of her, Mollie picked up the envelope. She gently broke the wax seal, slipping out a letter written in beautiful penmanship on a piece of sturdy parchment. 

Please take care of my beautiful Cassiopeia. 

I have enclosed a donation to the orphanage in the hopes that Sio will have a good education. Please let her learn anything she would like using 1/8 of the money inside, and put the rest to good use. 

The blanket is a gift from Sio's mother. Tell Sio to take good care of it.

The letter wasn't signed. Not that Mollie had expected it to be. Most letters weren't signed. Cassiopeia, or Sio as her parent had called her, was lucky there was even a letter at all. Nor was there a last name for Sio. She would just be named under the last name Ward, like many of the other children in the orphanage. Sighing, Mollie reached into the envelope once more and took out a cheque. Her eyes widened at the amount. It would be enough to feed Sio and the rest of the children for many years. 

------------------------------------------------------------

A tall, gaunt man walked slowly away from the orphanage, rain mixing with the tears on his face. He looked too old for his years. His fear consumed him, fear that even leaving Sio behind wouldn't be enough to keep her safe from his enemies. 

Hi everyone! Thank you for giving this fanfic a try. It's my first one, so please be kind. I would love some constructive criticism too if you have any!  - browneyedgenius