Chapter 9: Music Lesson

Start from the beginning

Kaya watched as the girl looked up in surprise at not only Otoya, but her as well. Otoya smiled warmly.

"You'll catch cold." Nanami looked pitifully up at him, then looked over towards Kaya. Kaya, in turn, gestured towards the gazebo.

"Let's get out of the rain, okay?"

"I-Ittoki-kun, Takahashi-san....."

The three made their way over to the gazebo in relative silence, with Kaya frequently sending concerned glances towards the young composer. Otoya stood awkwardly by a pillar, Nanami sat on the rim, and Kaya sat cross-legged on the floor. No one spoke. Nanami looked guiltily between the two.

'They both helped me again...Ittoki-kun really is kind, and Takahashi-san also....'

Kaya finally broke the silence.

"Hey, so what's got you so down? Do you wanna talk about it?" Nanami stared at the ground, unsure. After a few moments, she spoke.

"It's just...after your performance in class, I realized something. You did so well, and I...I really don't belong here. I'm just so far behind everyone else. I just came here because I love music, but I can't even read music...I could never have done what you did so easily, Takahashi-san." Kaya was stunned. Had she actually hurt her more? Had she made a mistake? She'd only wanted to protect her, but if she ended up discouraging her instead.... She looked down in shame.

"Look, it'll be okay." .

'..huh?'

"Reading a score and all that, if you study from here on out..." Ittoki paused and smiled at Nanami. Kaya watched, amazed. This... This is what happened in the show! She hadn't ruined anything! Thank goodness. Thank goodness.... Haruka wasn't as assured as Kaya was.

"But I've never composed music before..." This fact, however, did not faze Ittoki in the least as he chirpily replied,

"It'll be alright, I tell you! I've never written lyrics before myself!" Nanami brightened considerably at this.

"Then you're the same as me, right?"

"We're in the same boat!"

"....So in other words, neither of you know what you're doing." Kaya plainly stated. Both their moods dampened slightly at that. Kaya gave them both a lopsided smile.

"Hey, I'm sure it'll work out for both of you. Nanami, you will go on to do amazing, wonderful things, I just know it. You have a warm and uplifting presence, and a good heart. I could tell that just from the first time we spoke." Nanami blushed and looked at her with wide eyes.

"U-Um...Haruka...Haruka is fine..." she looked away from Kaya shyly.

"Haruka it is then. Feel free to call me Kaya." Otoya, feeling only slightly left out, then picked up the conversation.

"Nanami, you must've come here because you wanted to do something too, yeah? In that case...you can't give up."

"Yeah! That exactly!" Haruka looked up in awe at her two friends. Ittoki continued,

"I've been singing for as long as I can remember. Even if you're feeling blue, singing cheers you up, doesn't it? So...When I make my debut, I hope someone is encouraged by my songs." Kaya looked up at him.

"That's...kinda why I sing too. I haven't been the most social person my whole life, but singing is a way that I can just...say what I feel. I hope that someone someday will hear me, and it might inspire them to reach out. Maybe I can...pull someone else out of the shadows I always sat in." Haruka looked from Ittoki to Kaya and back. These people...were incredible.

"Anyway, for now, I'll try to write lyrics for one verse by tomorrow."

'Good luck with that buddy.'

"I....I'll study musical scores and composition!" Kaya stood up from the floor, seeing that everyone else was now standing.

"I can help and give you a crash course on reading sheet music, if you want me too." Haruka happily turned towards her.

"Really? I'd be really happy if you would!"

"Let's all do our best!" Otoya smiled proudly at the two of them.

"Okay!"

"Right!"

".....Also, uh I meant to ask earlier but...what's your name?" Kaya nearly fell over.

"You ask that now?!"

"I'm sorry! There just wasn't a better time! Ah! I haven't even introduced myself! What's wrong with me...I'm Ittoki Otoya! Pleasure to meet you!" Kaya sighed and playfully shook her head.

"Takahashi Kaya. A pleasure."

Nanami smiled as she watched her new friends interact. Maybe things would turn out okay after all.

~~~

A C K It's been a week.... Yeah, uploads are gonna get slower. They aren't gonna be too slow though hopefully! I have finals next week, so things might be weird then, but other than that I will strive to update as often as possible!

Otoya time! Kinda. This chapter was a bit more Nanami oriented, but hey, we'll get there. I really hope the dialogue isn't too forced. Also I am having way too much fun developing Daigo. He's supposed to be a one off character, how did this happen!?

I would really appreciate any review or constructive criticism! I really don't know if I'm doing a good job cause I've reread the story so many times while writing I've pretty much become numb to it. I can't see any glaring problems but I worry it's just because I've been staring at this thing for so long. I'm not gonna force you, but it would be helpful!

Today's no thoughts head empty nickname is: Rent (Ren)