Chapter 9: Music Lesson

Once class ended, Kaya's desk was immediately swarmed. People were complimenting her and shooting questions left and right. Kaya wasn't used to all the attention, so she was understandably overwhelmed. She couldn't even keep up with what anyone was saying! Luckily, her trusty new friend Hijirikawa managed to pull her out of the crowd eventually. It was almost surreal to her, that he'd actually had enough of a positive opinion of her to be her friend.

"Thanks, Hijirikawa. That's twice you've saved me." Kaya smiled up at him. Masato really didn't think he had done much, but was nonetheless pleased he was able to help in some way. He simply smiled back at her, before a boy with bluish-black hair approached the two.

"Hey! Takahashi! You ready to get going on this project? I'm stoked!"

Kaya looked between the two of them, nodding gently at the boy before turning to Masato.

"I agreed to work on my project with Matsuta after class, so I'll see you around, okay? Thank you again for the save, I really do appreciate it!" she clasped her hands in front of her, sending the pianist an apologetic smile before turning and following Daigo down the hall. Masato watched her for a few seconds as she left.

"......Okay. See you."

Neither of them were aware of the pink haired composer sadly turning away from the conversation and down the hall. Maybe she'd take a walk to clear her head.

~

"Alright! Let's get started! What kind of song are you thinking of singing, Miss Superstar?"

The two students were seated in Daigo's dorm room. It was a cozy place, with multiple rugs of varying colors, sizes, and textures littering the floor, and a similarly assorted pile of cushions and blankets scattered haphazardly about. There were a multitude of strange trinkets displayed on seemingly randomly placed shelves along the wall, along with souvenirs from various countries. It was a stark contrast to the minimalist, monotone half that was the other side of the room.

"M-Miss Superstar????"

"Yeah! 'Cause you totally rocked that solo performance! No wonder you were so eager to play!"

"A-Ah....." Kaya glanced sideways at the floor, laughing awkwardly. 'I can't just tell him I was trying to save Nanami, can I?'

"So, song?" Kaya jumped, startled out of her thoughts.

"O-Oh! Yeah! Uh...I was thinking, something, like, light and upbeat? Like: 'I'm here! I have a voice!' You know?"

"I getcha! So something like this, huh?" He played out half a melody on his guitar.

"Yes! But how about here..."

"Oh! I see!"

The two continued to work, making a fair amount of progress, until they were both satisfied with where the song was headed. By the time Kaya was headed back to her dorm, it was beginning to rain. She quickened her pace.

On her way back, though, she noticed a familiar back sitting on a bench in the middle of the downpour. ...What was Nanami doing out here? Surely she had no reason to be? Kaya walked towards her, and quickly noticed she wasn't the only one. Otoya was a few paces ahead of her, already taking off his jacket to put on the currently drenched composer. He hadn't seemed to notice Kaya yet. She jogged up to him and quickly tapped him on the shoulder before she had to awkwardly back away from what she quickly realized was another scripted event.

Otoya jumped and nearly let out a scream before noticing the quiet girl behind him. Before he could say anything, she looked him in the eye and nodded her head towards his partner. His mouth formed a small 'o' as he nodded quickly. They then closed the distance between the two of them and the sad pianist together. Otoya continued with his original plan and gently placed his jacket on Nanami's shoulders.