Chapter 5: Homeroom

"Well, everyone, welcome to the Saotome Academy Entrance Ceremony. First, an address from the headmaster."

Kaya watched as the poor guy onstage waited for a moment before confusedly turning his head around. He probably didn't sign up for what was about to happen. She felt a bit bad for him. Kaya averted her eyes towards the skyline, searching the top of the buildings, and managed to catch sight of the man in the garish clown costume just as he started maniacally laughing.

"HAHAHAHAHA! Anyone who doesn't know love, don't even think to speak of songs! Just leave here at once!" Kaya sighed as she heard him speak. Two seconds of hearing his voice and she was already exhausted. Before the new memories, she somewhat looked up to the man. Now, she just found him off putting and needlessly cryptic. All of the students started murmuring amongst themselves and turning their heads in every direction to find the source of the voice. Finally, a boy's voice rang out.

"S-Someone's over there!" He pointed towards where Kaya had been staring, and sure enough, there he was in all of his clown glory. Wearing a cloak, a frilly collar, and a masquerade mask with giant bright purple and yellow feathers on top that encompassed his head.

...Yikes.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The beating of a heart is the first source of music!"

Kaya looked on, unamused, as everyone else screamed in terror because their headmaster just nosedived off of a three (or...four? Whatever. It was tall.) story building. Their worries were unfounded, though. The headmaster was pulled up by strings before continuing his speech while awkwardly bouncing in the air.

"Yes, my friends. The headmaster is me, Shining Saotome! Welcome to Saotome Academy, or rather, to this shining world!" He made another weird pose, then spun down to the stage, shedding his costume in exchange for his usual black suit, brown jacket, and red and white polka-dotted tie. Only to do another pose and start dancing in a way that was physically painful to watch. Kaya decided that she held no respect for this man.

"Music is love! Come now, soul! Enshrine it! Put your whole soul into the songs! Make your life bloom! Shine ever brighter people!" He did a couple more awkward dance moves before he was once again hoisted into the air by strings. Kaya wanted him to hurry up so she could leave. He shouted over his shoulder as he "air ran" away.

"Congratulations on your acceptance here! Thank you!"

And then confetti rained down. 'Well somebody certainly has a flair for dramatics...'

After the ceremony, Kaya quickly made her way towards the classroom. She was excited. It was the start of her path to becoming an idol! But also, it was the start of the plot. She honestly wasn't sure which was more important to her. She arrived at the classroom doors, and took a deep breath before stepping in. There were a few students inside, but none really worth mentioning. Wait, scratch that. There was one Hijirikawa Masato sitting in the corner. Kaya would have missed him completely had he not been one of the eight people she was looking for. She was almost scared to talk to him.

The past Kaya would have shrunk in on herself, found a quiet corner, and talked to people as little as possible until given the instruction to sit down. Now, however, Kaya was trying to be more confident. She knew Hijirikawa was a kind person, and she knew what it took for him to get here. She refused to stand on the sidelines any longer. This was her first step.

Plucking up all the courage she could muster, Kaya walked over to the desk where Masato was currently sitting, and hazarded a greeting.

"Uh, hey, I noticed you were sitting on your own, and you seem cool, so I just came over to say hi! Uhm, my name is Takahashi Kaya!" 'Great job, Kaya. You sound like an idiot that just came over cause you pitied him. Sick.' While Kaya internally chastised herself, Masato studied her with a steady gaze. He noticed the worried way she chewed her lip and fiddled with her fingers. Finally, his face softened slightly and he gave her a small smile.

"Hijirikawa Masato. It's nice to meet you, Miss Takahashi."

Kaya positively beamed. It worked! She did it! Okay, now to actually carry a conversation.

"It's...It's nice to meet you too!" Great start. What next. "Um...oh! Which course are you in?"

"The idol course. You?"

"Idol course as well. I'm looking forward to actually making my own music...! Well, professionally, I mean. There's only so much you can do with a clarinet and a camcorder."

Masato tilted his head, a faint interest sparking in his eyes. "You play clarinet?"

"It's not the most idol-like instrument, but yeah. I've played since I was little."

He shook his head, "No, I think it's a lovely instrument to play. I'm experienced with the piano, myself."

She knew, but she was glad he told her. "Ah, the piano? That's a nice instrument. You must be pretty dexterous, then."

"I could say the same to you."

The two conversed for a while, so much so that Kaya completely missed the rest of the students coming in until--

"ELIZZAABEEEEETH!!!!!!"

"Excuse me, I'll be right back." He quickly walked over to the center of the room, pulled a certain girl out of the way, and pushed a certain redhead in her place. Ah. Right. The plot was still happening. She walked over to the two of them, glancing down at the future miracle composer, who was currently red-faced and panickedly thanking her new friend.

"Nice save, Hijirikawa." Kaya said with a small smile. Masato looked up at her, slightly startled. Apparently he hadn't noticed her approaching. She feigned a hurt look.

"What, did you forget I was here?" He seemed calm externally, but Kaya had enough inside knowledge to tell that he was internally panicking a little bit.

"No, of course not. My apologies, I just..." She laughed, cutting him off.

"Relax, you didn't do anything wrong. I was joking. I'm not mad."

"O-Oh." This only seemed to fluster him further.

"Hey, don't worry about it, really. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

"..."

Realizing that not only had Haruka rejoined the previous conversation a while ago, but also that Masato would need to introduce himself to her soon, Kaya decided to back off, feeling a bit guilty about the awkward atmosphere that had just formed. He didn't seem angry, really, if anything he looked like he was studying her. Why? She had no idea. She wouldn't want to be the reason he missed an opportunity to speak to the girl he likes, so she decided to make her exit. Kaya smiled and waved her hand in the air.

"......Okay, well, I'll leave you to get back to what you were doing. Uh, talk to you soon?" He smiled and nodded at her.

"...? Sure."

~~~

Okay so i skipped another day but this chapter's longer than usual and i might post another tonight? I'm terrible at dialogue but I tried my best, okay?

Kaya made a friend! Good job, girl. I could never. I personally relate more to pre memory Kaya, but we all know how she ended up so. I didn't mean to completely glaze over the whole class A meeting, but it just kinda,,,,happened? Hey, we met someone, so it's a start!

Today's stupid dumb nickname is: Massive Toe (Masato)