Chapter 18

As I finish relaying my message, Mallory disables all the cameras, alarms, and door locks to all the rooms. 

Every computer starts to shut down to a blank screen. I smile happily. 

I could feel Mallory's gaze on me. "Stay here, I wouldn't want you to see something that I have to do." He went outside and close the doors. 

I tilt my head, questionably at what he was trying to keep me from. Suddenly, I hear two men scream in pain and bones cracking from the other side of the door. One-shot was fired, making me gasp in worry. 

I instantly went out to see how Mallory was doing. A hand went to my eyes, blocking my view. "Let go!" I elbow the person behind me. 

The person blocked my attack. "It's me, Mallory," he whispers. 

I stop attacking, feeling embarrassed. "Sorry, but why are you blocking my eyes?" I ask. 

"I don't want you to see what I did. I have a weapons we can use to defend ourselves for now and to complete your guard disguise," he says, guiding me far away from the control room and the scene.

"Well, what did you do?"

He let the conversation hang in silence which only increases my curiosity. I look up at him. "What did you do?" I ask again. 

He sighs. "If you must know, I broke their bones and made them unconscious. I stole keys and weapons from them. It was a gruesome sight that I didn't want you to remember that scene."

I giggle from his tone of voice. "You know I have seen dead bodies litter at the battlefields, the broken bones are nothing. Besides, I went to other worlds before and saw dead bodies," I point out. 

"You have two fewer bodies to add to your list," he points out jokingly. He removes his hands once he deems it far away from the control room. 

Right now, the subjects must have been causing chaos with Diane, Harry, and Fury leading them.

Unfortunately, our fight is not with them. Mallory and I skipped all the levels and went straight to the boss battle level.

Mallory turns off the safety of the gun and I did the same too. 

"Honestly, this is the second time I will ever kill my father. Garrison in the rebel world and now Garrison here," Mallory admits. "Do you ever saw me as a bad guy?"

I nod. "I thought you were bad when I found out you are his son. That only shocked me. Then I started to accuse you. I cannot forgive myself for that."

He grabs my free hand and gently squeezes. "Once we make it out here alive, I will make up all the missing time and worry I caused you."

"And I will do the same," I smile at him and gave him a kiss on the cheek. 

I couldn't tell him that I am worrying right now. If in some dimensions, our versions die in the hands of the Garrison or the leader of that dimension, how would we know we will survive this one?

We don't.

We knock on the door of opportunity and jump right in.