Chapter 4

I lose track of time as I skim the book. Diving into a new world full of fights and rallying makes my blood boil in excitement.

My interest continues as I imagine the world written in a paper. A world only consisting of teenage orphans. A tyrant ruler brainwashes the orphans into thinking they are worthless beings. Some kid's hands are bound in chains. Some sit inside a cell. Their eyes formulating a plan of escape.

In the shadows, a rebel organization figures the truth about their existence and revolts against the government. I smile at their determination as they fight for freedom.

My eyes travel to a picture next to the words. A boy about my age, maybe older by a few years, clenches two guns with his hands and aims at the flying robots. His brown side-sweep hair flies in the wind as his group surrounds to protect him.

My forehead scrunch as my eyes squints closely. He looks familiar to me. Have I met him somewhere in this town? No, that can't be right. I would have remembered a good-looking guy among my bullies. He must be a guy in my dreams and dreams only

I rub my eyes and close the book. I stretch and yawn as I remember why I am here in the library today.

I trudge to the computer lab with all my stuff and type away on a computer. I know I have to start my college applications! Those papers can't write themselves! Waiting for the document to send to Franklin University, my hands instinctively grab the fragile book. I flip to the page and continue to read once more.

I need to find this place and converse with this boy. I need to know who he is. Why do I feel like we have known each other before?

My thoughts run around my head as I contemplate my next move. The universities I applied to won't email me back until a week or so and I have a book to keep me company, thanks to Ms. Kaitlyn.

I decide to stay in the library until it closes. My parents will still be at work and won't come home until late, anyway.

I stretch my arms and lay my head on the desk. I wish for a dream-filled sleep, only to showered in fog and nothing.

Ms. Kaitlyn taps my shoulder, waking me from the short shut-eye. "Blaire, dear. Time to go home. I would love to allow you to stay here and work, but as the community's regulations, I have to close the library down now. Would you come tomorrow then?"

I rub my eyes and cover my mouth from the yawn. "I will, Ms. Kaitlyn. Sorry, I fell asleep. These college applications wore me out," I groggily answer.

She smiles gently at me and hands me a piece of candy. "Go along, now. Your parents might be worried sick."

I pack my things and wave goodbye as I leave the library. I pop the candy and swirl the peppermint. The burst of flavor wakes me up as I trudge back to my naive and loving parents.

-🏙-

The soft clinking of utensils on ceramic echoes in our small abode.

My hazel eyes travel to my father who eats his steak heartily. My mother, on the other hand, daintily cuts the meat in small pieces before eating them.

My father clears his throat. "Are you sure you don't want to go to Scion Creek University? It is just around the corner and you are familiar with the other kids your age in this community," he points out directly as he munch on his steak.

I lower my utensils and take a sip of water. "Father, we talked about this. That university cages me with the jerks of my childhood. Why would I put myself in that situation?" I respond calmly to him.

"But, what your father is saying, Blaire, he wants us to be together until you grow up... Like before you go see the world and mingle with boys your age," my mother calmly states.

I chuckle with no humor. "I wouldn't in a million years want to mingle with boys here. They are judgmental jerks that's all!"

My father sighs. He places down his utensils. "Well, you won't know the results if you got accepted until in a few months. We will pamper and spoil you until that comes, kiddo." He ruffles my hair, grinning.

I laugh and remove his hand from my hair gently. "I'm twenty. I am old enough to support myself, father."

"Whatever, kiddo. You are still my little princess of this simple household." He kisses my forehead as my mother came to my other side to hug me.

"We will be late for curfew. We don't want Governor Garrison to be furious because the lights are open." My mother slowly closes the lights and blinds.

"I guess I will have to do dish duty tomorrow, my love?" My father asks his wife, kissing her on her cheek.

She smiles and tickles his neck. "Sure, love. Thank you." She pecks his cheek before saying good night to me.

I hug both of them. "I'll go brush my teeth and go to bed. I love you both!"

"We love you back, little princess," they coo at me.

I see my dad sneakily wrap his arm around my mother, pulling her close to him. How I would love for someone to do the same.

I roll my eyes as I walk to the bathroom and did my business.

In this community, there are rules we must comply with.

The curfew is midnight. All lights close and all the blinds shut.

The people who are thirty-five and older must attend a meeting three times a month as a requirement. No child knows what they are talking about and the adults shrug it off every time we ask a question.

Rumors have it that people get kicked out without their children if one of the rules made by Governor Garrison is disobeyed.

I sigh happily as I snuggle under my bedsheets. I would do everything I can to give my parents a loving life, but I want to get away from here. This awfully strict place suffocates me. I want to be free.

I twist on my side only to hear a soft thud below me. The novel given to me fell from my bag. Thank goodness my floors are carpeted. If not, the whole house might be alerted.

I imagine a world filled with crimes, war, and conflicts. I imagine robots controlled by the government flying around and shoot innocent children. I imagine the boy with a determined look on his face as he protects his people.

I take a deep breath. As I exhale, the darkness takes over again, and I travel through the bridge of dreams.