We rode, straight into the sunset.

***

The cops had lost us a long time ago, and I knew London was getting hungry, through apparently, judging by the bars sticking into my back, she’d shoplifted quite a few snacks.

We stopped in at some road-side B&B, and London gave them the last of her money. We’d tried to disguise ourselves again, but to be honest, the receptionist didn’t look bothered. They probably didn’t even have TV here. I’d stopped caring. I was just so tired.

There was only one room left – a dirty, small room, but for once, London didn’t complain. She just collapsed on the bed, tossing me a Snickers bar. I ripped open, biting into it.

“London,” I said, once I was less hungry. “What do you think I should do?”

She looked up at me, probably surprised.

“Huh?”

She had no idea what I was talking about.

“As in, what should I do? I can’t…kidnap you any longer. We can’t do this forever.”

London glared at me.

“Why not?” she challenged.

“We’ve already run out of money, London. And don’t you want to see your Dad again?”

“I want to see you more.”

My face felt all hot, even though this room had air conditioning. Damn it. Why did she have to say cute things like that?

“My family will die.”

She was quiet, for a minute. I looked up at her, trying to guess what she was thinking. When it came down to it, that was the choice, right? Her or my family. It was kind of scary, that in just a couple days, she mattered to me almost as much as my family did.

Almost as much.

I watched the conflict in her eyes, and watched her eventually settle for the inevitable conclusion.

“Alright,” she whispered softly. “I’ll let you do it. I’ll let you go.”

I smiled, even though I wanted to cry. But my Dad told me. A man can never cry.

I tilted her chin up, so I could see her blue eyes.

“I kind of like you, London. Maybe we could meet again, after this is all over.”

She smiled back, and I knew she wanted to cry as well.

“Maybe. We’ll see.”

***

(London)

“Josh?”

“Yep?”

“Did you know, the Mafia are tracking you?”

He jumped up.

“What?”

“That’s how they knew where we were.”

“But the only thing I have is…”

He pulled off his trainers, and ripped out the soles. From the left one, Josh pulled out a micro-chip, tiny but completely unnoticeable.

“I’m such an idiot!” he said, throwing the trainers across the room, so suddenly I was kind of surprised. They hit the wall with a dull thunk. “They gave me these trainers, saying it was meant to be some kind of gift. Damn it, I can’t believe I –”

Josh looked confused.

“But…why did they call the police and try to get us caught? Don’t they want the money as well…?”