Chapter Twelve

'-uck' 

It feels like the next few moments happen in slow motion. Dan leaves the room; Mum chased after him, and Dad just left, standing there in as much shock as Bea is. 

'I'm sure this is probably the last thing you expected to happen today.' He says, taking a step towards her. Dad manages to take the hint and leaves them alone, even though from the look on his face, he doesn't seem to want to let the English bowler out of his sight. Gavin kept moving toward Bea and sat on the edge of the bed.

'Well yeah, never in a million years did I expect to -' Bea started to say but trails off as he cups her cheeks in his hands and brings her in close till their lips touch. She manages to enjoy it for a few moments, but her brain suddenly catches up and pulls away again.

'As much as I enjoy this, don't you have a million other places you should and need to be?' Bea says, trying not to smile like a complete idiot.

'I have got the week off, and I thought I would spend it helping you do some damage control; plus I just wanted to see you.' He replied, seeming very proud of himself. Bea reminded herself that if Dan hadn't overheard their phone call, there would be no need to do damage control. Even though things were still frosty with Dan and, to some extent, her Mum and Dad, Bea was secretly glad they knew; harbouring this secret had been difficult. 

Bea couldn't help herself as she launched into a tight embrace around Gavin's frame, which softened. Like all the tension from his body released at her touch. They sat like this for a few moments before Bea said what they had both been thinking.

'What do we do about Dan?' 

'Well, on the off chance he wasn't pleased about my surprise trip, I was hoping to build a relationship with him off the field. I spent the entire flight thinking of ways to get to know him.' Gavin replied, getting his phone out of his pocket and scrolling through a list on his notes app. Bea had a quick read over the ideas, she was so surprised at the level of thoughtfulness Gavin had. 

'Sorry to burst your bubble but unfortunately, Broken Hill does not have a bowling alley for you two to go have a bonding session at,' Bea smirked and passed the phone back to Gavin. 'But definitely points for trying.' She continued

After about fifteen minutes of catching up, Gavin and Bea thought they had better show their faces to the rest of her family, who would surely have a million questions. They slowly walked into the dining room and saw that Bea's Dad had a beer and Dan was nursing a cup of tea. Bea's Mum was scrubbing a pan in the kitchen sink - Bea was sure that the pan had to be clean; it was just her Mum's anxiety needing an output. 

Bea and Gavin sat down at the table and waited for the criticism and intense questioning to come. Gavin gently squeezed Bea's hand under the table to reassure her. Dan went first.

'So how do you expect this to work?' Dan broke the silence, staring directly at Gavin, not Bea. She wanted to shrink into her chair and return to Brisbane, where things were simple, and no one had to think logically. Gavin took a moment before responding calmly.

'I wish I could give you a concrete plan, but at the moment, we are taking things as they come. I am fully supportive of Bea's move to Melbourne and starting her new career. I don't want her to have to give up anything for me.'

'But that's the thing, isn't it? When this comes out, there is a high chance that Bea will have to give up things, like her job, to make this work. I know what an international career in cricket will do to a couple.' Dad interjected, and much to Bea's dismay, he made sense and was suddenly pissed off at how invested he was in professional cricketers' private lives. All the doubt she had tried to keep from plaguing her mind was suddenly clouding over, and there seemed to be no path forward together. Then one thought shot through like a beam of sunshine.

Ashes to AshesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara