Part 1 - Chapter 1: Detector

ONE DAY AFTER THE EVENTS OF "ASSURGENT"

~~~~Tris~~~~

I breathe in cold air. The chain in my hand is so cold it feels like it's burning in my hands.

"You know Tris, you can go back to the city." Johana Reyes told me. She came by to take a look at the Bureau.

"I'm not leaving him again." I replied. She brought me a chain that my mother hid in my abnegation home. It was gold and thin with a silver heart locket. When I opened it there wasn't a picture, but a note. It read,

𝓕𝓸𝓻 𝔂𝓸𝓾, 𝔀𝓱𝓲𝓵𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾'𝓻𝓮 𝓲𝓷 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮.

~ 𝓓.

D. Who was it from? Then I realized it was from David. He's going to be put on trail in two days, so is Matthew. But why did she keep it. Did she share the same feelings that David felt? I shook the thought and put the chain in my pocket and started to walk to the security checkpoint. They ask me if I have any weapons, I say no. Then I walk into a metal detector. It goes off with a really loud siren, so loud that I jumped at the noise.

"Step over here please." One of the guards told me. He starts waving this wand around my body. It beeps when it reaches my pocket. The siren is still going off.

"Can't you stop it?" I say nodding my head towards the sound.

"No, it stops by itself after twenty seconds." He says, "Can you take out what's in your pocket?" I put my hand in my pocket and take out the locket. He scans me again but the wand doesn't beep. "You're good to go." I place the locket back into my pocket and walk to the control room.

When I get there I log out of the city's camera system and log into the Bureau's camera system. I click onto one of the cameras. Tobias' room. He's sleeping right now, but next to him holding his hand was Evelyn. I stare at her, with a snarl on my face but I then realize she loves him too, just like I do. This is the only way I'm allowed to see him, Evelyn knows I'm alive, but Tobias doesn't.

I remember the conversation we had yesterday, the way she told me, "Girlfriends are just placeholders, they come and they go." I resisted the urge to punch her, and just walked away.

As I'm about to click the "Log Out" button I see someone familiar in the camera near the entrance to the Bureau. I click on it, and realize who it is, Marcus. I jump up out of my chair and sprint to the entrance. My body begins to ache as I'm running because of my injuries but I push through it as anger starts to take place instead of pain. After I'm out of the hallways I see him about to pass through the security checkpoint. I sprint faster, and he doesn't notice me until I jump on him through the metal detector. I can't let Marcus hurt him. I can't. 

We both hit the ground hard. The siren from the detector goes off. I climb on top of him and start punching him keeping every hit in rhythm with the siren. Then I felt a crunch under my fist as it made contact with his nose. Blood spills out of his mouth and nose. As I watch the blood slip out of his face I feel a hard smack on the side of my head, my ear starts ringing. Stunned, I fall over. Marcus gets on top of me and grabs my throat with both of his hands. I try to get some air, but I can't. I begin to see black dots dance around my vision. My vision begins to blur as I see Marcus' bloody face. His blood dripping on my face. I close my eyes as my eyelids begin to get heavy.

Then I feel the tightness around my throat go away. I feel like I'm getting carried. Then I hear the siren from the metal detectors stop. All this happened under twenty seconds.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

SORRY FOR NOT POSTING LAST WEEK BUT I NEEDED SOME TIME TO PLAN THIS BOOK OUT! ANYWHO THANK YOU ALL FOR STILL READING! LOVE YOU ALL!!! STAY PURE!!!COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW!