12.

(I just wanted to clarify that when I don't put a date on a chapter, it means the incident takes place on the same day. It izzz what it izzz😔👌K, thanks, now read kiddos)

"Rough night?" I hear a voice beside me. I take a brave sip off my drink before identifying the owner of that voice.

Josie Pye. Smiling at me. Talking to me. No, no, scratch that, standing next to me? I frown. She obviously notices.

"Don't wanna talk about it?" She adds hesitantly. I blink before forcing myself to form a proper reply. Something just to satisfy her, make her leave me alone. I really am not in the mood for this.

"No, I'm good. Just not in a 'prom' mood." I simply reply, focusing on my drunk classmates dancing all over the place.

"Yeah.." She says as I bring the plastic cup in my hand closer to my lips once again.
A few minutes pass but I can still sense her presence near me.

All of a sudden, my feet head for the door. Once I'm out of the auditorium, I take a deep breath. I somehow felt as if I was drowning in there.

Not long after I hear the door open behind me.

"Look, I get that you probably don't want to talk to me but.. I know somethings wrong. First of all, you've never been interested in the concept of prom. Also, it's probably the first time I see you around without that annoying redhead-" Josie starts saying and my blood starts boiling.

"Don't call her that.. Besides, why do you even care, Josie? We're just not together tonight." I reply and start walking away but she follows close behind.

"You're right, I don't care about her. I care about you. How you are." She says. I can't make out the sentiment in her tone.

I say nothing.

"I care about you." She repeats. I turn around to face her. She seems.. concerned?

"I-" I start saying but I stop myself.

"I'm.. fine. Thank you for your interest, but it's really no big deal, just some minor shit." I respond, but she doesn't buy it, and I can tell. That's why I'm stunned when she doesn't push it any further.

"Okay." She simply says.

She suddenly approaches me. We stare into each other's eyes, holding back millions of questions.

"Just.. You're very handsome tonight, Gilbert, in case you weren't told. I'm surely not the person you'd want to hear it from, but I mean it." She whispers before lightly kissing my cheek.

She then runs back towards the auditorium and I'm left in silence.

Why does senior year have to be so complicated?

————————————————————
hello🥺 I'm tired so haha gn🥰